Meteorological Winter

Its a blowin outside. The local creeks came up fast with this latest storm. Dog isn't happy, he'd prefer snow :)

this just might turn out to be a real winter............................................

Winter Storm Warning
Code:
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SACRAMENTO CA
410 AM PST FRI JAN 20 2017

...PERIODS OF HEAVY MOUNTAIN SNOW NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS...

ANOTHER STRONG WINTER STORM SYSTEM WILL BE MOVING THROUGH NORTHERN
CALIFORNIA TOADY. THIS STORM IS EXPECTED TO BRING HEAVY SNOWFALL
TO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA MOUNTAINS. SNOW LEVELS ARE LOW ENOUGH TODAY
THAT SOME SHASTA AND COASTAL MOUNTAIN ROADS COULD SEE SOME SNOW.
WHILE THE SIERRA NEVADA COULD SEE 2 TO 3 FEET OF NEW SNOW BETWEEN
TODAY AND SATURDAY MORNING. PERIODS OF STRONG WIND WILL ACCOMPANY
THIS SNOWFALL AT TIMES. AFTER ONLY A BRIEF SLOWDOWN IN SIERRA SNOW
SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING...ANOTHER STRONG SYSTEM WILL PUSH
THROUGH THE NORTH STATE LATE SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY BRINGING
ANOTHER ROUND OF HEAVY SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS.

CAZ068-069-210100-
/O.EXT.KSTO.WS.W.0005.000000T0000Z-170123T1200Z/
WESTERN PLUMAS COUNTY/LASSEN PARK-
WEST SLOPE NORTHERN SIERRA NEVADA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF CHESTER, QUINCY, AND BLUE CANYON
410 AM PST FRI JAN 20 2017

...WINTER STORM WARNING NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST MONDAY...

* TIMING...PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING WITH
  HEAVIEST SNOW AND GUSTY WINDS FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY MORNING.
  HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG WINDS RETURNING SUNDAY MORNING, LASTING
  THROUGH MONDAY MORNING.

* LOCATIONS...LASSEN PARK...INTERSTATE 80 OVER DONNER PASS...
  HIGHWAY 50 OVER ECHO SUMMIT...HIGHWAY 88 OVER CARSON PASS.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...2 TO 3 FEET OF SNOW ABOVE 4000 FEET THROUGH
  SATURDAY MORNING WITH ANOTHER 2 TO 3 FEET SATURDAY EVENING
  THROUGH MONDAY MORNING.

* MAIN IMPACT...SNOW COVERED ROADS WITH CHAIN CONTROLS LIKELY.
  WHITE OUT CONDITIONS AT TIMES WITH GUSTY WINDS ESPECIALLY TODAY
  AND SUNDAY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW
ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN AN
EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL, KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT, FOOD,
AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

this just might turn out to be a real winter....................................

Today - Total daytime snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible

Tonight - New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible

Saturday - New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible

Saturday Night - New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible

Sunday - Little or no snow accumulation expected

Sunday Night - New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible

Monday - New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Monday Night - Snow showers likely

Tuesday - A chance of snow showers

I don't care that we need it-I'm tired of shoveling snow and splitting fire wood all the time! Just had to buy some snow melt---I have not had to use this stuff for years and they are talking a foot more snow today and continued snow until next Wednesday :oops: !!! Well at least I'm retired and don't have to drive down my hill to work at six in the morning like I used too :p ! Power was out for a while last week and the internet was down; thank god for books and all that gear I carry around in the pop-up-if things get real bad can always climb in there ! Bah humbug

Smoke

ski3pin said:
this just might turn out to be a real winter....................................

Today - Total daytime snow accumulation of 5 to 9 inches possible

Tonight - New snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches possible

Saturday - New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible

Saturday Night - New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible

Sunday - Little or no snow accumulation expected

Sunday Night - New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible

Monday - New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

Monday Night - Snow showers likely

Tuesday - A chance of snow showers
You can have it, sir -- we've had more than our share already. :cautious:
I live in the high desert, for criminy sakes!
;)
Bend broke a 24-year record for snow-depth in January. And for the first time in 36 years in this house I've had trouble with roof ice dams-- some leakage into the house. (now remedied with ice chiseling and roof raking)
[I keep requesting: "In the mountains, yes please, but no urban snow, please" -- alas, the weather gods are ignoring me]

Smokecreek1 said:
I don't care that we need it-I'm tired of shoveling snow and splitting fire wood all the time! Just had to buy some snow melt---I have not had to use this stuff for years and they are talking a foot more snow today and continued snow until next Wednesday :oops: !!! Well at least I'm retired and don't have to drive down my hill to work at six in the morning like I used too :p ! Power was out for a while last week and the internet was down; thank god for books and all that gear I carry around in the pop-up-if things get real bad can always climb in there ! Bah humbug

Smoke
I'm with you, brother!

Just checked - they upped today's snow accumulation to 9 to 13 inches possible.........................I haven't seen it yet outside. The Lady wants a Yankee pot roast in the crockpot tomorrow morning. Might have to walk or ski over to Safeway this evening.

This today looks like the mountains will get a lot of snow.
Raining hard here.
HELP I need Ark plans,also do I have to take all those animals?
Might get a break before noon for a while.
Our two storage lakes in south county should be getting a lot of runoff.
The larger lake has gone from about 20% to over 60%.
Maybe this will be the year to have both filled.
Stay safe.
Frank

Has anyone seen the sun lately? It has been days and wet slop just keeps piling up. Please, someone describe the sun to remind us what it looks like.

ski3pin said:
Has anyone seen the sun lately? It has been days and wet slop just keeps piling up. Please, someone describe the sun to remind us what it looks like.
Ski,it's big.super hot and orange.
Almost out here,working on it. Maybe a break soon.
How much snow do you have?
Frank

ski3pin said:
There you go...let it out, big guy -- feels good to whine, doesn't it!
;)
I tell ya, it sure made me feel better to post my misery here and on FB when we had weeks of more snow every couple days. Now it's been a week since we've had more than a few flakes fall here...almost starting to miss it -- NOT!!

But it's still a winter "wonderland" here :cautious: : flat-roof buildings around town are still collapsing...the only place I can see the ground is under my decks...my rain gutters are still topped with ice caps...and I don't remember if my driveway is asphalt or concrete... :oops:

See, I'm still whining! :p

It seems like it NEVER stopped at all here in Susanville ---I might enjoy it more if I still did cross country stuff---but I don't and all I do is dig the truck out, shovel snow and build fires!!! They say that Reno almost got it's yearly amount of rain this month-and January is not over yet! Anyway-so dang much ice here that taking Bob for his morning walk up the hill is a non-starter. We are out of the drought, they say, so that means more mud to get stuck in this spring and tall grass, ticks and more snakes this summer---ya just can't please anyone these days can ya ;) ! Ho Ho, bah humbug :D !

Smoke

Sun was out here this am , it was grand to see, according to local reports, perhaps clear for the day, nope more clouds rolled in around 2pm with some rare thunder & rain looks to be headed towards Reno from the southwest typical daily routine. Now the norm. It's going to be a wonderful year camping on our many western rivers in my new ATC camper. I also expect an excellent daily hatch for the fish to feed on. I gotta think some of those trout are farther downstream now. River flow rates are incredible.

Rockcod said:
Sun was out here this am , it was grand to see, according to local reports, perhaps clear for the day, nope more clouds rolled in around 2pm with some rare thunder & rain looks to be headed towards Reno from the southwest typical daily routine. Now the norm. It's going to be a wonderful year camping on our many western rivers in my new ATC camper. I also expect an excellent daily hatch for the fish to feed on. I gotta think some of those trout are farther downstream now. River flow rates are incredible.
Hope your thoughts about the trout are correct.
I for one would like to see a good fishing year.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Ski,
How much snow do you have?
Frank
About 4 gallons of gas through the snowblower. Several new inches on the deck right now after the Lady's last shovel work.

Smoke, it is nice to see a real winter again. Bob says so.

OKay,Okay, I give up! It's a beautiful white wonderful world out there and I can't wait to go play in it :love: ! Yep, especially now that my neighbor just used his mini snow plow to clear out my driveway and the sun us starting to break thru the overcast. Bob just finished chewing on a fresh soup bone and is ready to go play; it is supposed to be clear and cold this week with no more snow predicted for the rest of the month (wonder what the coast will be like next week?). Still it would be nice if it was a tad warmer :p !

Smoke

Back
Top Bottom