Camping Rally at Meadow Lake October 10-12.

The granite area above the lake is nice. Also if you drive down the road that takes you to BOWMAN LAKE AREA has some nice camping spots as well. Hopefully we will have weather that will allow people to check out the area. Have fun up there Andy.

Had lot's of thunder(Bob doesn't like that) and some rain in the afternoons, nice, but sure glad "Bob" was given a butch before we left because the tree sap was all over the place and every time to took an afternoon nap he picked big hunks of dirt and sap; if he'd had his usual border collie long hair, i'd still be cutting and clearing it up. Callie would have liked it up there cept for that and the all the noise! By the way here in Susanville we are having the same thunder, t-shower and lighting shows every day--great except for the fires. Overcast again today with some sun and wind.

Smoke

We visited Meadow Lake, for a quickie visit to celebrate SR's birthday.

We didn't have a clue. Meadow Lake road is nicely graded, and we were flying in on Friday night. When suddenly we saw a city of RV's, toy haulers, and 4x4's. We suddenly realized it was the jeeper jamboree! :eek: Over 1500 people and their rigs were spread along the lake.

Lucky for us, we were able top slip off to our granite hide away. We could hear rigs running the Fordyce Trail at night, revving their motors, and bits of party music on Saturday night. We hiked and swam in local lakes and saw nary a soul hiking. Guess the guys don't really want to get out of their rigs. lol Thank goodness Grouse Ridge area is a roadless area or it would have been thrashed long ago. We left at 8am on Sunday to beat the traffic jam out on Meadow Lake Rd.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Hope it's not that crowded on the "big week end"
Frank
I'm not worried. Ted is arriving a day early and he'll shoo away any undesirables.
;)

I have checked the event calendars on a number of 4x4 websites and those of the clubs in the area. Nothing is scheduled in this area the weekend we will be there. Considering the time of year, I think we'll be seeing deer hunters more than off-roaders.

You'll be fine. I didn't mean to alarm anyone, but was blown away to find such a large crowd out there.
Come October and it will be completely different. Apparently Sierra Trek takes pride is doing a big cleanup after the event. :)
We should have been smart like Ted and checked the calendar before heading up there.

Hello All,

Long time no see. Life has seen quite a few changes since last I saw some of you but I think its time to attend a Rally! I will likely show for this one. Wouldn't want Marc to have to cook all by himself.

Cheers,

Cort

Great to hear from you Cort. Hope all is well. Looking forward to seeing you again. And yes, Marc will be cooking. PM him for details. I tried to convince DD to join us also but the timing isn't going to work for him.

Just looking at different views of the Rally location region -- Nat-Geo TOPO and Google Maps:

Meadow-L_TOPO-2.jpg Meadow-L_TOPO-1.jpg Meadow-L_Google-Maps-1.jpg

I think I'll order a Tahoe National Forest map.

MarkBC said:
What year?
08 or 09 if I remember..This was taken just out of Ballarat, My rig is in the center, Craig's is on the far left, and I can see my dog in the picture. Was a fun trip.

I want to say 08, I remember I had to leave early to get back to work at my new job. I hope we didn't disturb the Clampers too much that were camped at Ballarat.

This Rally is now a month away -- 4 weeks.

Not sure where else I'll go after the Rally, but it'll be somewhere for a few more days -- too far for me to go for just a weekend, need more bang-for-the-buck (fun per gas-$).
Maybe continue south down the eastern Sierra...maybe into Nevada.

Mark
I'm keeping a close eye on this site : http://www.californiafallcolor.com/
I have another event the weekend of 10/3 ~ 10/5 and am thinking
I'll head over to the Eastern Sierras on the 5th and come back to the Rally on the 10th.
IF the colors aren't ready week of the 5 ~ 10th, then I'll head back after the Rally.

If you decide to head to Eastern Sierras after rally, let's try to meet up somewhere over that way.

Back
Top Bottom