Camping Rally at Meadow Lake October 10-12.

You guys are sounding like me---keep thinking about heading over to Monitor Range afterwords and checking out Jack Longstreets playground before the snow flies. So far I headed off to do that twice and ended up somewhere else! Just a thought to ponder.

Smoke

Just put the position N39 24.606 W120 30.179 in my GPS and it routed to Meadow Lake, 3 hours and 15 minutes driving time.

med_gallery_1903_734_123463.jpg

I plan on driving up Saturday morning, we should be at camp by noon. Anything special I should bring?

Bill

billharr said:
....Anything special I should bring?
I think Ted will make an "organizational" post when he gets home from his current trip -- about a week from now.

Awesome! I'm new to the forum and I was hoping there were these types of community events. Thanks for planning it.

Its a long ways from meadow lake. Making my best guess I think the King fire will stay more or less contained. Acreage will grow as it burns up to the dozer lines and areas are fired out but I don't think we'll see any more huge runs. I have been known to be wrong once or twice.

I see now we have red flag conditions. I really should check the forecast before I prognosticate.

Prognosticate.......

man I needed to drink a beer to digest that one.

Hoping the smoke is not an issue and looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.

Cort

I expect the fire will be completely controlled by then, though not likely out. We have cool weather moving in with some rain. That will give the fire crews a lot of help. The straight line distance between the fire and Meadow Lake is about 22 miles. I think the only thing we will have to worry about from the King Fire is if the wind is blowing smoke towards us. However, this is now the peak of fire season and we have two weeks to go. Hopefully nothing new will pop up between now and then.

Ted you have done a fantastic job getting the rally going. It should be the WTWWT Rally (WanderTheWestWithTed)

MarkBC's walnut pie may temp others to sign up.
Walnut-Pie_20130329-1.jpg

Since we'll be using the dance floor I'll bring my 5k generator, sound system and lighting. Sure hope we can have a bonfire by then :)

craig333 said:
Since we'll be using the dance floor I'll bring my 5k generator, sound system and lighting. Sure hope we can have a bonfire by then :)
Generator and sound system in camp? Blasphemy!

Ted said:
Generator and sound system in camp? Blasphemy!
Blasphemy, and more blasphemy!!! Dancing, generators- a party-rocking at the lake? Maybe then you will not notice if i do bring my tv to watch the niners, second thought, i can hear the niners just fine on my radio-more time to dance-me thinks not-that would inter fear with pig eating and throwing the ball to "Bob"!.

Smoke

Not to worry, I don't even own a generator and I'm not sure I want to see the Niners lose another game. I'll probably be to busy stuffing my face anyway.

I'm debating on whether to bring the kayak or not. Last time with the dog didn't work so well. On the other hand if he'd swim after I could get him some great exercise.

Drove to Truckee sunday, raining very hard over summit. Alot of snow at higher elevations, maybe 2-3 inches. This next week looks to be much warmer, should melt all the snow. Suggest to bring some warm clothes for the rally. It was 40 in Truckee at 1:00 PM.

Long term weather is looking very good. Pleasant days and cool nights.

I called TNF (Sierraville office) again to let them know about the group coming. Again I'm told that it is run PG&E and that the campground will be closed by then. I explained I was aware of that, but to close them all they probably do is turn off water and lock the bathrooms, though I have not been able to verify that. But the campground is on NF property and there are no gates so I can camp on that at any time, no? She agreed we can. Ok, so I'm just calling to give the Ranger on duty a heads up that there will be a group there as a courtesy. Got a very short "OK, fine. Thank you" reply.

I'm done with trying to be helpful to them. I could understand the attitude if we were a bunch of yahoos going off designated routes and trashing the place. But when you have users of the forest just trying to make their work a little less difficult and you still give them attitude... :mad: I hope the rangers there are easier to deal with than the office workers.

Back
Top Bottom