Fall 2015

Could not get out to the desert to celebrate :unsure: , so I bought me some books to tide me over until then! Did it seem to anyone else that this spring/summer went by real fast and had allot of strange to real strange weather and related things going on -like why is it raining/snowing/gale winds or not and or why did I start a fire yesterday and today we just had the hottest [or coldest](on what ever date) on record. And all the fires and climatic things :oops: that kept breaking records, boy I'm ready for that cycle to end and maybe have a nice colorful fall followed by a nice snowy winter :love: ! We can only wish.

Smoke

Smokecreek1 said:
.......................................... I'm ready for that cycle to end and maybe have a nice colorful fall followed by a nice snowy winter :love: ! We can only wish.

Smoke
I don't think we are going to get any color. On a walk last night we noticed all the dogwood and big leaf maple leaves are drying up and just falling off the trees. Sad.

Don't miss the equinox super moon with eclipse on Sunday.

I agree about the trees losing their leaves, but some of the East Side photographer reports have been encouraging. I like to follow Yosemite photographer Michael Fry's blog

ski3pin said:
I don't think we are going to get any color. On a walk last night we noticed all the dogwood and big leaf maple leaves are drying up and just falling off the trees. Sad.
A friend who lives in Bridgeport reported the same drought-related prospects on the east side...but he also posted some photos of beautiful fall-colored aspen, so maybe it won't be a total loss.

I'll be experiencing fall, the first month or more, in the non-West -- midwest to east coast. Not trying to hit fall color there, but it may work out that way.

MarkBC said:
I'll be experiencing fall, the first month or more, in the non-West -- midwest to east coast. Not trying to hit fall color there, but it may work out that way.
We are expecting a glorious fall color season since we had good rainfall all summer. It seems to be delayed a bit around here, but we saw trees changing in Canada and Michigan on our recent trip around Lake Superior.

A new freeze-free record for Bend was set this weekend. 140 freeze-free days.
Yesterday morning the official (Bend airport) low was 32°F -- the last time it reached freezing was May 10.
The main factor that created such a long stretch of "freeze-free" was how early in the year freezing nights ended. In most years it's not unusual to have frost in June, at least once.

The freeze-free record that was broken this year was set just last year. Do I detect a trend? :unsure:

What's "freeze"? Is that got something to do with the weather? We had another day in the 80's/night in the 40/50's with another one due for Tuesday; been tying or beating most of the high temps for this time of the year! Well the moon I could not see last night because of the clouds is quite visible and bright thru my living my living room window tonight-well, wonder if I'll be around to see the next blood moon it when it happens again in 30 or so years :p !

Smoke

First flocks of sandhill cranes just flew over here. Must be autumn. Love the sound when they're airborne, although they're really nasty birds on the ground.

Now I'm getting a bit nervous. Three more big flocks have gone over (it's Sacramento) in the past hour and a half. I don't recall them being here this early. I KNOW I've seen them in southern British Columbia on this date (well, duh, it's my birthday, so I remember). I sure hope this doesn't reflect dried up staging areas north of here. Geesh.

Guess I'll know more in a day or so. I'll be passing through Klamath Basin and Toppenish en route north. Thought I was doing a more interesting route but time got tight due to Circumstances.

MarkBC said:
The freeze-free record that was broken this year was set just last year. Do I detect a trend? :unsure:
You know something is different in Central Oregon when the gardeners successfully grew watermelons and cantelopes here this summer. Let alone the ranchers cutting grass hay more than once. At least those that had water to keep it wet.

Steady rain falling this morning woke us. Water flowing in the rain gutters on the roof. The windows are open. Cold air and the smell of rain in the mountains fill the house.

Back
Top Bottom