Fall!

Well for you desert folk it's 36 right now here in Joshua Tree,pretty cold for this time of yr.But it will be 65 this afternoon.

It's started snowing at my house
ohmy.gif
-- first of the season!
Actually it's snowing so lightly that I can almost count the flakes, but it is snow nevertheless.

New low for the season at my house this morning, 19°.
wxStationGraphAll

Other places in the Bend area have already had lower temperatures -- last week, but this is the first low in the teens at my house since spring.

Im guessing since you have posted this before, and say at its at your house, it's your data? How do you capture and compile it?

We had our first snow last week - just an inch of the white stuff, which is pretty much gone now. Sure would like some more. Send it our way when you're done with it!

Im guessing since you have posted this before, and say at its at your house, it's your data? How do you capture and compile it?

G.G. -
Yes, I have a little weather station outside which communicates wirelessly with a base station indoors and that communicates with software on my computer. And that software automatically uploads the data every few seconds/minutes to my personal weather station page (PWS) on Wunderground.com where the data is tabulated/graphed as well as stored. (It's also stored on my computer.)
I got this hardware from AmbientWeather.com: Oregon Scientific WMR100, with the "Internet Edition" software which is required for uploading to the Internet.
I established a Personal Weather Station account on Wunderground ($5/year) and then let the weather-nerding begin!
biggrin.gif

Here's a page on Wunderground that explains the steps: Personal Weather Stations.

My anemometer is broken and my precipitation meter isn't working currently...but I mainly just care about the temperatures anyway.
There are other approaches to this, too. Let me know if you have any questions.

Snowing here tonight and sticking, first snow of the season...........and I, of course, need to get down the hill first thing in the morning for a front end alignment on the truck before work. Ah, but we do live in the mountains!

Thought I posted this earlier. Apologies if this is a double post.

“Cold air and strong lift dynamics over the Sierra is leading to heavier than expected snow at the Lake. Heavy snow at Lake level tonight with 5-6 inches now expected in the Basin. Chains req on 20 and I-80 now closed both directions due to accidents. It will be a beautiful day in Tahoe tomorrow!
The steady showers have passed for the foothills. Chance of occasional showers thru the night diminishing tomorrow morning. it's going to be a beautiful day in the foothills tomorrow!” (via Nevada County Weather)

Time to wax the boards :D :D :D

Thanks Mark! That pretty much covers it. I'm a bit of a weather nerd too, but I use other people's data. For now...

One more toy added to the list. The long list.

So what the hey is this bizarro cloud formation impinging on the northern California coast?
blink.gif

vis420111105-1.gif

Was this the path that the alien spacecraft took in its approach?
ohmy.gif
Looks like it made landfall in the Mendocino area...

Here's tonight's forecast for the east side of the Cascades, e.g., Bend:
20111105-1.png

Today the high at my house was 39° -- the first sub-40 high since spring.

28° low this morning with a high today of 39°

WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM PST SUNDAY ABOVE 4000 FEET...

A WINTER STORM WARNING ABOVE 4000 FEET REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM PST SUNDAY.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: 10 TO 15 INCHES EXPECTED ABOVE 6000 FEET. 3 TO 7 INCHES EXPECTED ABOVE 4000 FEET.

* TIMING: SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES THIS EVENING AND TONIGHT.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDE: CHESTER... QUINCY... AND THE TRANS-SIERRA HIGHWAYS.

* IMPACTS: HAZARDOUS TRAVEL FROM REDUCED VISIBILITIES FROM SNOW. SLICK ROADS WITH CHAIN CONTROLS AND TRAVEL DELAYS PROBABLE. DANGEROUS BACK COUNTRY CONDITIONS AND COLD TEMPERATURES FOR HIKERS AND CAMPERS

Stay safe all. Time to wax the skis. Looking forward to your leftovers, which should arrive Monday night, although we only have a 20 percent chance of precip, according to the forecast.

There's a very light dusting at my house -- in fact, most surfaces are just wet -- but some places the ground is white...very light snow continuing.
Forecast is for more of the same, i.e., not much.

Looks like this one fizzled out in the valley and the foot hills, 2" over night and partly cloudy now.

Yup. just a couple of inches here and that's good news. The leaves are still on the dogwoods, big leaf maples, oaks, and our fruit trees. Early snows can really do damage bringing down branches. Things look good this morning. :)

A sign of the season in Central Oregon:

McKenzie Pass Hwy. Closing
This is the old -- scenic -- highway that goes from Sisters in central Oregon across the Cascades to western Oregon. It only opened this year in July due to the extra-heavy snowpack received last winter.

And the Cascade Lakes Highway is closing for the season tomorrow at Mt. Bachelor ski area.

Yup. just a couple of inches here and that's good news. The leaves are still on the dogwoods, big leaf maples, oaks, and our fruit trees. Early snows can really do damage bringing down branches. Things look good this morning. :)

Agreed. Our black oaks took a severe beating last Thanksgiving when they still had their leaves and 24-36" of snow flattened them. Looks like we have another mild week until the weekend.

This is an important milestone for Central Oregon tourist-based business -- which is the biggest business in central Oregon:

Bachelor plans to open by holiday
Snowmaking efforts set to begin this weekend, as icy weather moves in
By Scott Hammers / The Bulletin
Published: November 16. 2011 4:00AM PST

An incoming storm followed by a weekend cold front has staff at Mt. Bachelor optimistic the ski area can open by Thanksgiving.
As of Tuesday afternoon, Mt. Bachelor had just 7 inches of snow at the base and at mid-mountain, but the National Weather Service is predicting steady snow through Saturday. Forecasts call for 2 to 4 inches today followed by another 4 to 8 inches tonight, and another 5 to 9 inches Thursday. Temperatures are expected to dip Friday — reducing the likelihood of snow — but meteorologist May Wister, with the weather service office in Pendleton, said 3 to 5 inches is still a strong possibility.
Mt. Bachelor spokesman Andy Goggins said the ski area plans to begin snowmaking on the runs off the Pine Marten Express lift this weekend, when daytime high temperatures on the mountain are projected to remain in the 20s.
I remember, back in the day, when there was almost no chance that Mt Bachelor ski area wouldn't be open for Thanksgiving, back then this wouldn't have been news. And that was long before they started snowmaking at Mt. B.
Global warming or just normal variation?

Back
Top Bottom