It's winter! (meteorologically)

takesiteasy said:
It's 68° inside our house and all the windows are tightly closed!

Wandering Sage- thanks for the moral support, haha.
Although ,Al I envoy you.
While I set here on the "veranda" sipping on my "mint julep" and my poor wife searching the local stores for that last tube of sun tan lotion. You my friend have won the "war" on "Global Warming".
Dear "fearless leader" a few days ago has declared that Global Warming is over.
See there is a bright side to the chilly.crisp temps you have.
Stay warm My Friend.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Although ,Al I envoy you.
While I set here on the "veranda" sipping on my "mint julep" and my poor wife searching the local stores for that last tube of sun tan lotion. You my friend have won the "war" on "Global Warming".
Dear "fearless leader" a few days ago has declared that Global Warming is over.
See there is a bright side to the chilly.crisp temps you have.
Stay warm My Friend.
Frank
Now cut that out! :p

But I did notice our daphodils starting to poke out of the mulch.

Ha, 6 inches of snow here today. Frank, I appreciate the thought- it's true we haven't seen much of that "global warming" lately. But the Vikings won (in most improbable fashion) so people are feeling warm and happy. The harsh winter will be quickly forgotten if they make it to the Super Bowl.

Sage, enjoy the daffodils. It will be a few months before we see any flowers... :ninja:

takesiteasy said:
Ha, 6 inches of snow here today. Frank, I appreciate the thought- it's true we haven't seen much of that "global warming" lately. But the Vikings won (in most improbable fashion) so people are feeling warm and happy. The harsh winter will be quickly forgotten if they make it to the Super Bowl.

Sage, enjoy the daffodils. It will be a few months before we see any flowers... :ninja:
What an ending-bet there was a "little global warming" in a certain clubhouse yesterday! Well we are still supposed to get some type of weather this week!. Poor old Bob is shedding all that thick border collie fur all over the house-a bit early me thinks. Don't see any thing popping thru the snow here-no snow :(! Guess I'd better go out and get some more wood on the porch-just in case it does snow again :D !

Smoke

MarkBC said:
I'm at friends' house in Portland, OR - famous for cool, gray, damp (even snow, sometimes) winters...And we're outside on the deck in short sleeves! Full sunshine and 58°F.
That ain't right!
After spending an unseasonably-sunny weekend in Portland I came home to dense fog -- and cold -- east of the Cascades -- due to air stagnation and cold air settling in, condensing moisture.

Still is today:
GOES17302018015Uzp6spb.jpg

Bend being colder than Portland is normal, but Bend being damper and grayer than Portland is odd...

takesiteasy said:

That would be nice.Your Vikings and my Eagles.
Forget New England.
Frank

That would be nice.Your Vikings and my Eagles.
Forget New England.
Frank
As you can see I am not up much on the football thing.
I was hoping The Eagles might meet the Vikings in the Super Bowl instead of a play off game.
At least the winner has a chance to knock off NE if they make it past the play offs.
Frank

Frank, every game is the super bowl at this point. I'm not really a football guy either but it's hard to ignore when the whole state gets into it. Would be fun to have the home team in the Super Bowl- could happen!

Getting sorta back on topic, I wonder what the weather forecast for Philly is? i'll have to look it up.

Philly should see seasonal to slightly above temps Sunday evening, with partly cloudy skies and almost no chance of precip. They'll get a few inches of global warming tomorrow, but it'll be long gone by Sunday.

Here in NC, we'll have our second accumulating snow of 2018 with snow pretty much all day tomorrow. Add that to the several inches of amazingly light powder we got up in the Blue Ridge on New Year's Eve and we've gotten rather more snow than normal, and we're just halfway through January. We just set an all-time (since records were kept) for # of hours below 32 deg F at 210 hours ending about a week ago today. During that week and a half, we had two mornings in the single digits, one down to 4 deg F.

My long-time geologist buddy down in Houston, TX came home early today due to sleet and snow in the forecast and as I type this he's getting hammered with frozen precip. Second time in Houston this year--extremely rare according to him.

Like most trained observers, it drives me a little bit nuts when folks attribute individual weather events to climate change, even when the speaker (such as the POTUS) should know better! I do so here in a wholly tongue-in-cheek fashion, but it really gets under my skin.

Foy

Foy said:
Philly should see seasonal to slightly above temps Sunday evening, with partly cloudy skies and almost no chance of precip. They'll get a few inches of global warming tomorrow, but it'll be long gone by Sunday.

Here in NC, we'll have our second accumulating snow of 2018 with snow pretty much all day tomorrow. Add that to the several inches of amazingly light powder we got up in the Blue Ridge on New Year's Eve and we've gotten rather more snow than normal, and we're just halfway through January. We just set an all-time (since records were kept) for # of hours below 32 deg F at 210 hours ending about a week ago today. During that week and a half, we had two mornings in the single digits, one down to 4 deg F.

My long-time geologist buddy down in Houston, TX came home early today due to sleet and snow in the forecast and as I type this he's getting hammered with frozen precip. Second time in Houston this year--extremely rare according to him.

Like most trained observers, it drives me a little bit nuts when folks attribute individual weather events to climate change, even when the speaker (such as the POTUS) should know better! I do so here in a wholly tongue-in-cheek fashion, but it really gets under my skin.

Foy
Yes Foy some people don't know the difference between weather and climate.
Frank

takesiteasy said:
Frank, every game is the super bowl at this point. I'm not really a football guy either but it's hard to ignore when the whole state gets into it. Would be fun to have the home team in the Super Bowl- could happen!

Getting sorta back on topic, I wonder what the weather forecast for Philly is? i'll have to look it up.
Just realized the super bowl is in Minneapolis.That would be great to be the home team.
I think it has only happened a couple times.
Frank

Frank, actually, it has never happened. Would be super cool, no puns intended, haha.

Weather forecast for Philly is 50°F and sunny for Sunday- great football weather, although the game doesn't start until 5:40 PM local time so it will probably be a bit colder.

Sign of the times -- when the times are droughty:

Lowes_Snowblowers_201801.JPG
All these shiny new machines looking for a good home...

A year ago there were none to be had...but that was a different winter.

takesiteasy said:
Frank, actually, it has never happened. Would be super cool, no puns intended, haha.

Weather forecast for Philly is 50°F and sunny for Sunday- great football weather, although the game doesn't start until 5:40 PM local time so it will probably be a bit colder.
Al didn't Green Bay in what is now Super Bowl I play at home?
It sure would be nice to see the Vikings in the game.
Frank

Holy January thaw, Batman! We are forecasted for 40°F on Friday! Hallelujia! Going to see some liquid water running around outside, cool!

Al didn't Green Bay in what is now Super Bowl I play at home?
It sure would be nice to see the Vikings in the game.
Frank
Frank, I looked it up- the first Super Bowl (named after the fact) was played in 1967 in the Los Angeles Coliseum. Green Bay beat the Chiefs 35-10. 2017 Vikings are the first host team to make it to a Conference championship game. They will be the first host team in the Super Bowl if they win this Sunday. Oddly enough, they will be designated the visiting team for the Super Bowl if they make it.

We better end this hijack of the Winter thread now, or we'll get frozen out, haha.

MarkBC said:
Sign of the times -- when the times are droughty:

attachicon.gif
Lowes_Snowblowers_201801.JPG
All these shiny new machines looking for a good home...

A year ago there were none to be had...but that was a different winter.
OK, now this is weird -- the local newspaper coincidentally had my story and photo idea on the same day! :eek:

Snow shovel inventories gather dust in Bend

Click on the link and you'll see the same array of snowblowers in front of Lowe's that I posted. It's their photo, not mine, but still... :cautious:
(this is an online version of a story that will appear in tomorrow's (18-Jan) print edition)

No, I'm not gonna sue... ;)

Mr. BC, think of the possible rock bottom prices snowblowers will go for in a couple of months!

Great job staying ahead of the news!

Looking at 7 inches out of a forecast of "trace to 2 inches", current temp 17 degrees, schools closed, highways partially melted yesterday now ice rinks. And the City's plow is in the shop!

Winter at 300' above sea level in the NC Piedmont. Ugh.

Foy

This latest round of storms,which we haven't gotten any rain from.
Have given us some of the largest waves in a very long time.
They look to be running about 30'+ and coming in at close intervals.
Sometimes sending water up onto the rec trail.
With the high tide mid morning it was a great show.
I think more tomorrow.
Frank

IMG_1148.jpg

IMG_1149.jpg

Back
Top Bottom