Meteorological Winter

ski3pin said:
Stanford is a strong team this year.
Yes, so much height. They played much better than a #6 seed. And Texas beat #1 Nebraska. I think Stanford should take the title.

It's supposed to hit 18º tonight, and around 0º on MarkBC's side of the mountains... BRRRRRRR

Tracks in my driveway...

31536220152_65ddb579d3_c.jpg

A screenshot of the current conditions this morning. Not quite as cold as predicted but still plenty cold.

Screen Shot 2016-12-18 at 7.35.12 AM.png

More progress against snow at the old MarkBC place.

My small residential street only gets attention from city plows when it's DEEP, and even then it's not on the first day...but eventually...
201612_Snow-6a.jpg

THE BERM! I'm TRAPPED!
201612_Snow-5a.jpg I tell ya, that berm was 10 FEET TALL, if it was an inch!
:p

Snow shoveling: It's not just for steps anymore:
201612_Snow-7a.jpg
...and this time it tastes like FREEDOM! :cool:

:)

Mark, living in Bend I can sympathize. I live at the end of a cul-de-sac and I wish they wouldn't plow it, it never improves access, I'd just rather drive over the snow. This time around they decided the pile of snow should go right in front of my yard blocking my mailbox, so no mail for me.

It's our only entertainment ... I've got a ton of these ... we got a foot of snow yesterday... I tractored out the 800 ft drive and shoveled the roof.... we got a half inch of rain last night..... temp up to 40..... it is supposed to be down to 5 degrees tonight.... my driveway is now a great luge run! Can't live without the cleats.

Attachments

• Door-snow.jpeg
    Door-snow.jpeg
    40.1 KB · Views: 61
  • dog-snow.jpg
    dog-snow.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 2feetsnow.jpg
    2feetsnow.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 58
We lucked out and only got about 6 inches of snow on top of last week's 8 inches. We are familiar with the dreaded snowplow berm.

Occidental said:
Mark, living in Bend I can sympathize....This time around they decided the pile of snow should go right in front of my yard blocking my mailbox, so no mail for me.
Yep. My next-door neighbors, with whom I share a roadside mailbox stand, had shoveled a nice path -- through the berm -- to the mailbox. But, of course, a footpath isn't good enough when you're on a vehicle-delivery mail route, and both of us received a USPS postcard in our mailboxes notifying us that we are bad and will not receive mail delivery until we're not bad anymore. :rolleyes:

Our situation was the "No" example in the upper left of this notice.
USPS-Mailbox-Notice-1.jpg

My young neighbors, after noticing their notice, went out and shoveled out access to the mailbox according to USPS specs. When I called to thank them for their neighborly work, the female half of the couple who answered the phone was annoyed that the mail delivery person was unwilling to get out of their car to deliver mail. :mad: I pretended to sympathize...but if I was the "mail man" I wouldn't want to double my usual delivery time by getting out of the car, either.

My mail carrier has it easy. Shortly after I moved here they did away with individual mail boxes. Now we all have to troop over to the community box. Still since we don't get snow I won't complain ;)

ski3pin said:
Mr. BC, the Lady named our first snow blower "The Berminator". :)
That's a good one! :D
My worst berm experience was when I was out of town when the big snow came and the snowplow came, so returning home i couldn't even pull down my driveway until I shoveled out the berm. Had to park the big ole truck right in the lane of traffic (not that there's much traffic on my dead-end street).

I assume that when I move into a townhouse in Minden/Gardnerville that the HOA fees will cover snow removal. ;)

I'd like to have some snow down here in the valley to blow it away! The high country has some, while all we have down here is cold and more cold, wind and ice :unsure: !

Smoke

MarkBC said:
Yep. My next-door neighbors, with whom I share a roadside mailbox stand, had shoveled a nice path -- through the berm -- to the mailbox. But, of course, a footpath isn't good enough when you're on a vehicle-delivery mail route, and both of us received a USPS postcard in our mailboxes notifying us that we are bad and will not receive mail delivery until we're not bad anymore. :rolleyes:

Our situation was the "No" example in the upper left of this notice.
attachicon.gif
USPS-Mailbox-Notice-1.jpg

My young neighbors, after noticing their notice, went out and shoveled out access to the mailbox according to USPS specs. When I called to thank them for their neighborly work, the female half of the couple who answered the phone was annoyed that the mail delivery person was unwilling to get out of their car to deliver mail. :mad: I pretended to sympathize...but if I was the "mail man" I wouldn't want to double my usual delivery time by getting out of the car, either.
Hmmm, I just did a perfect "no" shoveling example at my rental house a few days ago. I guess I better head back up there. :unsure:

It's been above freezing for the past 36 hours, but it's forecast to drop back in the teens tonight, so today was my last chance to keep the remaining thick deep slop from becoming deep ice. So...I took some naproxen in advance, got off my butt, and gotter done -- done enough, anyway.

20161220_Driveway-1.jpg 20161220_Driveway-2.jpg 20161220_Driveway-3.jpg

"But Mark, you didn't get it all..there's at least an inch or two left." :unsure:

That's true -- and, in fact, it was just that depth of snow that resulted in the collapse of civilization in Portland, OR last week (temporarily). :eek:
But it's good enough that my little car is back in the game -- it does fine in snow (and ice) as long as the depth is below the bumper/air-dam. :)

ski3pin said:
...When's the next snow? :)
Well, sir, the long range forecast calls for snow showers Saturday and then again a week later. And "snow showers" doesn't sound too bad...

Weather_20161220-2.jpg

The 12-14 inches we got in Bend last Wednesday is rare. Some years, maybe a lot of years, we don't get that much in a single dump at all, and if we do it's only once in a winter. Usually we get just a few inches, maybe 6 - 8, at a time. Bend is an arid place, after all, with average annual precip of just 12 inches (water-equivalent).
This is probably why after 30 years in my house with a long driveway I still haven't bought a snow blower. :rolleyes:

But 25 years ago we had a winter in Bend that broke all snow records big-time. At one point the snow was 3 feet deep at my house and stayed that way for a while. The ground remained snow-covered -- officially, in Bend -- for 90 days. Not just patches of snow -- continuous white. This broke the previous continuous snow-cover record by a full 30 days! :eek:

Of course, it's all what you're used to. There are lots of places in the Midwest and Northeast that have deep snowcover all winter. And in mountain towns in the West. They think I'm whining, making an issue of a foot of snow! :D
On the other hand, when the Willamette Valley (of western Oregon, where most Oregonians live) gets even a couple of inches it's a crisis for most people. Even people who know what they're doing, snowsports people and such, get caught in gridlock.

ski3pin said:
Nothing like standing back and looking at a job well done. When's the next snow? :)
Very impressive Mr. MarkBC! I found the shoveling today to be quite difficult compared to the fluffy lightness of a few days back. I shoveled out the fire-pit in anticipation of the naked revelers celebrating the Solstice tomorrow eve here at our place.

Back
Top Bottom