Meteorological Winter

Looks like we've got another one on the way this weekend...though the amount of snow doesn't seem like much of a big deal, compared to previous recent Winter Storm Warnings. Maybe it's the chance of ice that makes it WSW-worthy.

Winter Storm Warning for Central Oregon, Oregon
Issuing Office: Pendleton
Source: National.Weather.Service
3:16pm PST, Fri Jan 6
... WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM SATURDAY TO 4 AM PST MONDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PENDLETON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM SATURDAY TO 4 AM PST MONDAY. THE WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. * ICE ACCUMULATIONS... OF A TENTH OF AN INCH TO ONE QUARTER OF AN INCH... ESPECIALLY NORTH NEAR REDMOND AND MADRAS.
* LOCATIONS... BEND... MADRAS... PRINEVILLE... REDMOND.
* TEMPERATURES... IN THE LOWER 20S... RISING INTO THE LOWER TO MID 30S BY SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... 4 TO 7 INCHES.
* TIMING... SNOW WILL DEVELOP EARLY SATURDAY MORNING AND CONTINUE THROUGH THE DAY. THERE WILL BE A BRIEF LULL IN THE SNOW SATURDAY EVENING BEFORE MORE SNOW DEVELOPS LATE SATURDAY NIGHT AND INTO SUNDAY. PRECIPITATION WILL CHANGE TO A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW... SLEET... FREEZING RAIN AND RAIN SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT.
* IMPACTS... TRAVELERS WILL EXPERIENCE SNOW COVERED ROADWAYS AND POOR VISIBILITY.
* WINDS... SOUTH 5 TO 10 MPH. * WEB PAGE: FOR A DETAILED VIEW OF THE HAZARD AREA VISIT HTTP://WWW.WRH.NOAA.GOV/MAP/?WFO=PDT. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW... SLEET... AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. &&

More Information
... MAJOR WINTER STORM WILL IMPACT THE AREA SATURDAY THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT... .A PACIFIC STORM SYSTEM WILL MOVE ONSHORE SATURDAY... BRINGING ANOTHER ROUND OF ACCUMULATING SNOWS TO THE REGION. SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOWFALL WILL BE LIKELY SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT. THEN ANOTHER ROUND OF STEADIER OR EVEN HEAVY PRECIPITATION MOVES INTO THE AREA DURING THE DAY SUNDAY AND INTO SUNDAY NIGHT. THIS ROUND WILL BE A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW... SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN FOR MUCH OF THE AREA. SIGNIFICANT SNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED AREAWIDE THROUGH WEEKEND. WINDS WILL ALSO BE GUSTY AT TIMES... CREATING AREAS OF BLOWING SNOW... ESPECIALLY IN THE GRANDE RONDE VALLEY AND SURROUNDING MOUNTAINS.

It's not going to be fun in Oregon, but the flood warning for California is truly scary... There's some serious rain that is going to impact the snow pack. I hope everyone will be ok!!

Watch
FLOOD WATCH
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SACRAMENTO CA
1125 AM PST FRI JAN 6 2017

...POTENTIAL FOR WIDESPREAD FLOODING SATURDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY...

CAZ013>019-063-064-066>069-071200-
/O.EXT.KSTO.FA.A.0002.170108T0000Z-170112T0000Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
SHASTA LAKE AREA / NORTHERN SHASTA COUNTY-
BURNEY BASIN / EASTERN SHASTA COUNTY-NORTHERN SACRAMENTO VALLEY-
CENTRAL SACRAMENTO VALLEY-SOUTHERN SACRAMENTO VALLEY-
CARQUINEZ STRAIT AND DELTA-NORTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY-
MOUNTAINS SOUTHWESTERN SHASTA COUNTY TO NORTHERN LAKE COUNTY-
CLEAR LAKE/SOUTHERN LAKE COUNTY-
NORTHEAST FOOTHILLS/SACRAMENTO VALLEY-MOTHERLODE-
WESTERN PLUMAS COUNTY/LASSEN PARK-
WEST SLOPE NORTHERN SIERRA NEVADA-

...FLOOD WATCH NOW IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH
WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

THE FLOOD WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FOR

* PORTIONS OF INTERIOR NORTHERN CALIFORNIA...INCLUDING THE
FOLLOWING: BURNEY BASIN/EASTERN SHASTA COUNTY...SHASTA LAKE
AREA/NORTHERN SHASTA COUNTY...NORTHERN SACRAMENTO VALLEY...
CENTRAL SACRAMENTO VALLEY...SOUTHERN SACRAMENTO VALLEY...
CARQUINEZ STRAIT AND DELTA...CLEAR LAKE/SOUTHERN LAKE COUNTY...
MOTHERLODE...MOUNTAINS SOUTHWESTERN SHASTA COUNTY TO NORTHERN
LAKE COUNTY...NORTHEAST FOOTHILLS OF THE SACRAMENTO VALLEY...
NORTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY...WEST SLOPE NORTHERN SIERRA NEVADA
AND WESTERN PLUMAS COUNTY/LASSEN PARK.

* WIDESPREAD FLOODING OF SMALL RIVERS AND STREAMS AND URBAN AREAS
FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

* AN ATMOSPHERIC RIVER, A NARROW CORRIDOR OF CONCENTRATED
MOISTURE, WILL LIKELY PRODUCE A PROLONGED PERIOD OF MODERATE TO
HEAVY RAIN ESPECIALLY SUNDAY THROUGH EARLY MONDAY. SNOW LEVELS
EXPECTED TO REMAIN ABOVE PASS LEVELS DURING THE HEAVIEST
PRECIPITATION.

* RAINFALL TOTALS FROM SATURDAY THROUGH MONDAY EXPECTED TO RANGE
FROM 2 TO 6 INCHES IN THE CENTRAL VALLEY, 3 TO 9 INCHES IN THE
COASTAL AND SHASTA MOUNTAINS, AND 7 TO 15 INCHES IN THE
NORTHEAST FOOTHILLS, MOTHERLODE, WESTERN PLUMAS MOUNTAINS AND
SIERRA NEVADA.

* PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS THIS HIGH HAVE NOT BEEN SEEN SINCE
DECEMBER 2005. A COMBINATION OF INTENSE RAIN AND SATURATED SOILS
WILL LEAD TO EXCESSIVE RUNOFF. FLOODING OF UNREGULATED RIVERS IN
THE SIERRA NEVADA AND FOOTHILLS, SUCH AS THE COSUMNES, AS WELL
AS FLOODING OF CREEKS, STREAMS, URBAN AREAS AND FARMLAND IS
LIKELY. MAINSTEM RIVERS WILL BE AT ELEVATED LEVELS.

* TRAVEL COULD BE VERY DIFFICULT WITH SOME ROADS COVERED BY WATER.
AVOID DRIVING THROUGH UNKNOWN DEPTHS OF WATER, TURN AROUND,
DON`T DROWN.

* RECENT BURN SCARS MAY HAVE DEBRIS FLOWS FROM PROLONGED AND
OCCASIONALLY INTENSE RAINFALL.

* A SECOND ATMOSPHERIC RIVER MAY OCCUR TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY
BRINGING AN ADDITIONAL 1 TO 4 INCHES IN THE LOWER ELEVATIONS AND
2 TO 7 INCHES IN THE MOUNTAINS.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A FLOOD WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FLOODING BASED ON
CURRENT FORECASTS.

YOU SHOULD MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS AND BE ALERT FOR POSSIBLE
FLOOD WARNINGS. THOSE LIVING IN AREAS PRONE TO FLOODING SHOULD BE
PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD FLOODING DEVELOP.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
It's not going to be fun in Oregon, but the flood warning for California is truly scary... There's some serious rain that is going to impact the snow pack. I hope everyone will be ok!!

Watch
FLOOD WATCH
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SACRAMENTO CA

...POTENTIAL FOR WIDESPREAD FLOODING SATURDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY...

This part is remarkable, if the forecast turns out to be correct:

"...PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS THIS HIGH HAVE NOT BEEN SEEN SINCE DECEMBER 2005..."

:eek:

But, the reservoirs have room so the big rivers should be okay. Anyone living near a small stream or creek thats known to flood is stocking up on sandbags.

craig333 said:
But, the reservoirs have room so the big rivers should be okay. ...
When I was visiting my mom in Redding this past week she mentioned that they'd recently let some extra water out of Shasta to lower the lake level to make enough room for spring run off. To worry about having enough room in Shasta Lake -- after how very low it was just a couple years ago -- that's amazing.

Our local water supply reservoir spilled mid April last spring and everyone was thrilled, a sign the drought was over for this area. It has now been spilling over for two weeks. The downstream flood control reservoirs should have adequate capacity if the managers have done their job. Main concern here are possible debris flows in our massive burn areas from the King Fire.

Glad you folks are getting some needed moisture. I imagine it will work its way here eventually. I hope you avoid floods and such. Would be nice if the extremes could balance out a bit.

Our second severe cold snap is just winding down. After a week of below zero temps, 8 above feels pretty good today. :unsure: I see someone has declared Minnesota winters to be the worst in the country. https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/states-with-the-worst-winters-worst-us-states-for-winter I figure if you have to live through it, you might as well get some recognition.

My OEM battery finally succumbed to this past cold snap. After 6 years, I guess I got my money's worth. Did not appreciate changing out the battery in the parking lot of the battery store at -4°F so I could get my core charge reimbursed, but a guy has to do what he has to do, haha.

takesiteasy said:
..................................................... but a guy has to do what he has to do, haha.
:)

During tomorrow's predicted deluge (with high snow levels) the Lady & I will do an extensive repair on our back up snowblower. We figure if its in great shape we'll never need to use it! :)

We've already exceeded the forecast for snow today: received 8 - 10 inches of very-light (very cold, about 10 - 12°F) powder at my house so far, by 14:30. So I guess the Winter Storm Warning wasn't all bogus and not just based on the chance of freezing rain tomorrow.

I went out "for a drive" this afternoon (to buy and mail a birthday card), and it's pretty bad out there. Even though there's little wind there are major "road blizzards" caused by the movement of vehicles through the very-powdery snow. I would have been stuck if driving my car, but the truck did OK.

Winter sports gear:
20170107_Snow-Tools-2.jpg

Since that bag of ice melter is almost empty (really just a photo prop :p ) when I went out bday-card shopping I also got another bag in anticipation of dealing with the melting and refreezing horror tomorrow and Monday, Tuesday.

takesiteasy said:
Glad you folks are getting some needed moisture. I imagine it will work its way here eventually. I hope you avoid floods and such. Would be nice if the extremes could balance out a bit.

Our second severe cold snap is just winding down. After a week of below zero temps, 8 above feels pretty good today. :unsure: I see someone has declared Minnesota winters to be the worst in the country. https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation/states-with-the-worst-winters-worst-us-states-for-winter I figure if you have to live through it, you might as well get some recognition.

My OEM battery finally succumbed to this past cold snap. After 6 years, I guess I got my money's worth. Did not appreciate changing out the battery in the parking lot of the battery store at -4°F so I could get my core charge reimbursed, but a guy has to do what he has to do, haha.
-4? I don't think I'd want my core charge that much!

Now the forecasters are saying they got it wrong, it won't be as warm as they thought in the mountains likely leading to less flooding than they'd anticipated.

Well, our Winter Storm Watch was upgraded this afternoon to another Winter Storm Warning:

Winter Storm Warning for Central Oregon, Oregon
Issuing Office: Pendleton
Source: National.Weather.Service
3:15pm PST, Mon Jan 9

WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST WEDNESDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PENDLETON HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW... WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 AM PST WEDNESDAY. THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
* LOCATIONS... BEND... MADRAS... PRINEVILLE... REDMOND. * ICE ACCUMULATIONS... LITTLE OR NO ICE ACCUMULATION EXPECTED.
* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS... 2 TO 3 INCHES TONIGHT... 5 TO 11 INCHES TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND NIGHT.
* TIMING... SNOW WILL DEVELOP THIS EVENING THEN WIND DOWN TUESDAY MORNING. SNOW WILL THEN REDEVELOP TUESDAY AFTERNOON... WITH PERIODS OF SNOW THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT. HEAVIEST SNOW WILL BE LATE TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND TUESDAY EVENING.
* IMPACTS... ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED AND HAZARDOUS FOR TRAVEL.
* WINDS... SOUTH 10 TO 15 MPH WITH LOCAL BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.
* TEMPERATURES... IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S... LOCALLY LOWER 30S TUESDAY AFTERNOON
* SNOW LEVEL... 2000 FEET LOWERING TO VALLEY FLOORS.
* WEB PAGE: FOR A DETAILED VIEW OF THE HAZARD AREA VISIT HTTP://WWW.WRH.NOAA.GOV/MAP/?WFO=PDT. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY. &&

More Information
... A SERIES OF WINTER STORMS WILL IMPACT PORTIONS OF EASTERN OREGON TONIGHT AND TUESDAY NIGHT... .A WEAK DISTURBANCE WILL BRING SNOW TO PORTIONS OF THE AREA TONIGHT INTO TUESDAY MORNING. MODERATE SNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE ALONG THE OREGON CASCADE EAST SLOPES TONIGHT. A STRONGER WINTER STORM WILL PRODUCE HEAVY AMOUNTS OF SNOW ACROSS CENTRAL AND EAST CENTRAL OREGON TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND TUESDAY NIGHT.

And I just deberminated my driveway (and the mail stand) this morning, for the third time in the past couple weeks. Many winters I don't have to do it even once. I'm not complaining about snow in general -- just snow on the streets. ;)
201701_Snow-3.JPG 201701_Snow-1.JPG 201701_Snow-2.JPG

Oh well...shoveling is a good workout for the back, shoulders, biceps and quads. :)
And it's a lot better than being flooded! :unsure:

I went down to the South Fork of the Yuba at sunrise, just after it crested 25,000 cfs.
I was at the Hwy 49 bridge, built in 1921; now superseded by a newer concrete bridge.
I've only seen it this large two other times.

Ahhh, to be a weatherman. Almost always wrong, yet everyone lines up for more.

x3 on the nice shots!

Back
Top Bottom