Summer Dayz

The Twilight Zone
[SIZE=14pt]“The Midnight Sun”[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Season Three, Episode 75[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]Original Air Date: [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]November 17, 1961[/SIZE]

http://twilightzonevortex.blogspot.com/2016/07/the-midnight-sun.html

[SIZE=14pt]Rod Serling’s Opening Narration:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]“The word that Mrs. Bronson is unable to put into the hot, still, sodden air is ‘doomed,’ because the people you’ve just seen have been handed a death sentence. One month ago the Earth suddenly changed its elliptical orbit and in doing so began to follow a path which gradually, moment by moment, day by day, took it closer to the sun. And all of man’s little devices to stir up the air are now no longer luxuries. They happen to be pitiful and panicky keys to survival. The time is five minutes to twelve, midnight. There is no more darkness. The place is New York City and this is the eve of the end, because even at midnight it’s high noon, the hottest day in history, and you’re about to spend it in [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]The Twilight Zone.”[/SIZE]

Episode where the earth moves closer to the sun and we slowly cook with hotter temperatures.
Then the episode continues where we get colder and all freeze to death.

[SIZE=14pt]Rod Serling’s Closing Narration:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=14pt]“The poles of fear, the extremes of how the Earth might conceivably be doomed. Minor exercise in the care and feeding of a nightmare, respectfully submitted by all the thermometer watchers in [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt]The Twilight Zone.”[/SIZE]

Serling definitely had a way with words that gets you to thinking.
One show I remember is when the passengers of a jetliner after
taking off I think from NY,look out the window and see the area
they just left filled with dinosaurs.
It can keep you up at night thinking.
What a mind.
Frank

Looks like we, Bend, have at least a couple of days of near-normal high temperatures coming up this week...after several weeks of 10 to 20°F (and higher) above-normal temperatures.
Normal high temperature right now is low-80s.

Weather_20210712-1.jpg

If the forecast for tomorrow comes true it will be the first day in weeks with a high temperature below the average for the date.

IMG_20210720_160045.jpg

Hmmm... Mutual fund pioneer John Bogle was a great proponent of the principle of 'reversion to the mean', the idea that all things will, over the long term, trend back toward their historical averages.
If that holds true for weather we may be shoveling snow next summer...
;)

The forecast low for tonight is 44°F. :eek:
That's kinda chilly. I'll still have windows open -- some of them anyway, but I'm not going to have a window fan running.

Dark Skies forecast says we will go down to 50° here at the house. Thank goodness the smoke has decreased!

Mark, I just polished off a nice bowel of sherbet, now I’m looking for a sweater.

Today’s, (7/22) low was 39 degrees at 05:56hrs for Redmond Ore. Close enough to the dew point that my dogs paws were damp from going outside to do his morning business. It was certainly a nice break from temperatures of the recent past.

A friend of mine in Twentynine Palms (in the Mojave Desert, California, north of Joshua Tree NP) said they had big-time monsoon rain there last night.
Seems like some of that monsoonal moist air has made it clear up here to Central Oregon. It's cloudy (at least partly) for the first time in weeks. As a result it didn't get quite as hot today as it was yesterday...but on the downside, it's not cooling down as quickly as it has nor as much. At about 8 pm it's still 85F, which is very warm for evening in Bend. Low tonight is forecast to be about 65F, which is very warm for an overnight low here.

Lake Powell could sure benefit from some monsoon rain!

Attachments

• LkPowellWL27July2021.JPG
    LkPowellWL27July2021.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 32
AWG_Pics said:
Lake Powell could sure benefit from some monsoon rain!
Per a thread on CBrats, the ramps are all closed, but people are launching from the beach. I’m guessing Matt Winder is going to get a number of new videos from Lone Rock.

It's been showering here, off and on, since early this morning. Alright!
It's nice to hear water dribbling down the downspouts... :D

Yes, it is a pretty amazing pattern. We had showers last night and into early this morning. The clouds are beginning to give way to clear skies.

Woke up this morning to nice clear sky.
Went to the rec trail in Monterey for a nice walk without many people.

On our return home found fog at the house.
Oh well it keeps the temps down.
Frank

And the smoke rolls on in. Can't really complain, we've been very lucky so far this year.

Two things are happening today.

#1 The wind has shifted...it's mostly a NORTH wind in the valley now which is a warming dry wind. This will stop onshore winds that can help cool us AND they warm us up...one big reason why we are 100+ today and for the rest of the week.

#2 SMOKE is now moving OUT of the Dixie fire area and the Feather River Canyon (hwy 70) and not moving south to more populated areas like Oroville, Chico, Sacramento etc.

Since this pattern will repeat the next few days I think smoke becomes more prominent.

Purple air is a private company with a network of personal air sensors and they are showing UNHEALTHY red air for Sacramento and spots north. They also show HAZARDOUS air closer to the fire.

You don't need a fancy sensor though...if you smell smoke...it's there and you can be affected so take it easy and take precautions because the long hot smoky summer that everybody else has had...is in many more spots today.

Back
Top Bottom