Winter!

Good to see more precip in the Sierra Nevada. It's looking like we'll get a few more inches of snow here in the Sacramentos tomorrow.

We have received 14" of rain this month, so far. Most of it was from March 13-17th, culminating with 4.92" of rain on March 17th. I believe the phrase is, "Miracle March". :)

Our local South Fork of the Yuba River hit 5000 cfs on Thursday. I took this shot with my camera inside a plastic bag, with me bracing the tripod against gusts of sleet. Good times. :D

I think most of the flow was not from the high country, dammed by Spaulding Res, but from local creeks due to the saturation of the soil.

Finally it's turned cold this weekend and we're getting snow in the foothills, with about six inches of snow at the house (3350').

Susan and I had a nice snowshoe / XC ski today at the 5,000' elevation. We saw sucker-holes of sunshine with the brief warmth of a March sun, mixed with intense flurries of snow. I hoped for a few turns, but the knee deep powder was more of a scenic slog.

We've got at least three or four days of winter left! I guess then we'll need someone to launch a Spring Thread. :p

Yikes... Santa Barbara received some overnight snow (not much).

SBSnowMarch18-2012.jpg

That's the beach and the Pacific Ocean down there.
Photo taken at an altitude of about 3,500.

We could use some rain, not snow, brrrr...

Bet there is a bit of wind up your way :LOL:

Just watched the local news. I think you might have had higher wind gusts out your way. Hope you didn't get blown away.

The last day of winter. View off the deck early this morning. Snow storm total was 20 to 24 inches with several inches of rain - flood advisory - prior to the snow level lowering. Spring starts tomorrow.

gallery_1902_252_55226.jpg

The last day of winter. View off the deck early this morning. Snow storm total was 20 to 24 inches with several inches of rain - flood advisory - prior to the snow level lowering. Spring starts tomorrow.

gallery_1902_252_55226.jpg

Very nice and snowy -- looks like that heavy "Sierra cement"...which up here is called "Cascade concrete".
biggrin.gif

For you clock-watchers: the vernal equinox occurs at 10:14pm PDT tonight...and I suppose that after that time one of them Moderators will move any additional posts on this Topic to its proper season.
wink.gif

WTF first hail now snow. TODAY. It's Tucson!!!!!!

Move south... Oh, wait -- you are...for a few days anyway, aren't you?
wink.gif

Move south... Oh, wait -- you are...for a few days anyway, aren't you?
wink.gif

Yeah move south. Yesterday it hailed and today we've got hail and snow. It's Tucson. Cant get much further south in the west.

Yeah move south. Yesterday it hailed and today we've got hail and snow. It's Tucson. Cant get much further south in the west.

I meant Mexico... And aren't you headed that way soon?

Hey Jay,not to be a "I told you so" ,BUT didn't I tell you the rain and snow was coming your way the other day. We had some snow here on the coastal mountains. First this season.Stay warm and remember just a few more days till you hit the sunny shores of Mexico.
Have a great trip.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom