Winter!

Saw your flatbed at B&C this morning, Marc! Missed you though.

I was picking up two 60# sacks of sand to put over my wheel wells in my unloaded Tundra. First time I've done that, but it did make a difference this evening when I was wheeling in some deeper snow.

Yeah, picked up some firewood and beer..you know, the necessary supplies.
My flatbed is full of snow, seems to be heavy enough to drive around. after digging out for a while.. I went up 20 to White Cloud CG and then went back.
Where do go XC?

Yeah, picked up some firewood and beer..you know, the necessary supplies.
My flatbed is full of snow, seems to be heavy enough to drive around. after digging out for a while.. I went up 20 to White Cloud CG and then went back.
Where do go XC?

I just head up 20 to the rest stop about twenty mils out. Nevada County Nordic has marked a series of trails. Pioneer Trail and Steep Hollow are two standards. They are on the north side of the highway. I also ski some of the roads on the south side.

I just head up 20 to the rest stop about twenty mils out. Nevada County Nordic has marked a series of trails. Pioneer Trail and Steep Hollow are two standards. They are on the north side of the highway. I also ski some of the roads on the south side.

Ah, now that is more like it! My kinda day. Thanks for the photo!

Funny, for all the years I lived in Truckee, I never made it over the hill to Nevada County Nordic.

My drive to work yesterday was interesting. Vancouver doesn't get much snow, and when it does - it gets ugly. Drivers are not prepared! Luckily I get to avoid most of the city on my commute. But can't always avoid scenes like this.

smugshot6695249-L.jpg

Just got a look at the Mokelumne River Basin snow survey for Feb, 1, 2012. Comes in at 27% of normal for this date.

Just got a look at the Mokelumne River Basin snow survey for March 1, 2012. Comes in at 22% of normal for this date and yes it was taken at the end of this last storm.

Just got a look at the Mokelumne River Basin snow survey for March 1, 2012. Comes in at 22% of normal for this date and yes it was taken at the end of this last storm.

That's sad.
sad.gif

The temperature is dropping here, the light rain turned to snow, and all is white outside. Another March 1st snow survey just came across my desk. One survey site near Highway 50's Echo Summit came in with the lowest water content for that site (for the March survey) in the 82 years of California's snow surveys. A sad record breaker.

The temperature is dropping here, the light rain turned to snow, and all is white outside. Another March 1st snow survey just came across my desk. One survey site near Highway 50's Echo Summit came in with the lowest water content for that site (for the March survey) in the 82 years of California's snow surveys. A sad record breaker.

Finely getting a little snow here in Susanville, hot yesterday, supposed to warm up for the rest of the week-what a non-winter it has been! I'm really worried about the prospects of never getting a good snow pack here unless things:p get better. If I was still working for the BLM I would be thinking of all those fires we and the public would be starting every time we went out in the back country with our trucks, good for fire overtime I guess, bad for the environment! Someone was saying we are at or about 20 % or so here, Eagle Lake looks real bad-low, don't know how many more bad years the Eagle Lake trout can take of this! When I stayed over at Black Butte Res a couple of weeks ago, they were saying it has rained only twice this year and the coast over at West Port was either real nice (to nice) or rainy and miserable (like it supposed to be), the day I left the weather turned nice-to watch the whales better, I guess! Wind was real bad though-everywhere I went the old FWC had a lot of real shakes!

Smoke

Low temperature at my house this morning was 14°F...so that still feels like winter, especially since that's near the low for this entire winter at my house: 12°. (which is way warmer than a typical low for the winter)
Nearby Redmond, OR, set a new record low for the day of 12°.

In a typical March in Bend I'd be saying, "of COURSE it's still winter -- it's not May yet!" (Bend's cool/cold season is definitely longer than it's warm/hot season -- despite what the tourism promoters would tell ya), but with this year's wimpy winter who knows...?
Maybe we won't even be able to pretend it's winter much longer.
sad.gif
I hope I'm wrong.

Winter returns, out dual sporting today and rode to Emory Pass in the Black Range of the Gila NF today and got some good snow squalls. Elevation 8800+', electric gear kept us reasonably warm on the bikes.

High today at my house was 66° -- the warmest it's been since October 28...
ohmy.gif

...but back to a chance of snow and cold rain next week:
20120308-1.jpg

Winter returns, out dual sporting today and rode to Emory Pass in the Black Range of the Gila NF today and got some good snow squalls. Elevation 8800+', electric gear kept us reasonably warm on the bikes.

Yeah! Glad to get a couple of inches of snow out of this system instead of just wind. Did you see the dust plume from White Sands on the satellite images during the wind event last week? It stretched all the way to the Oklahoma panhandle.

<snip> Did you see the dust plume from White Sands on the satellite images during the wind event last week? It stretched all the way to the Oklahoma panhandle.

Wow!

Yeah! Glad to get a couple of inches of snow out of this system instead of just wind. Did you see the dust plume from White Sands on the satellite images during the wind event last week? It stretched all the way to the Oklahoma panhandle.

Missed that but glad you got a bit of precipitation. Spring in New Mexico, good for testing the wind capacity of you pop-up.

Missed that but glad you got a bit of precipitation. Spring in New Mexico, good for testing the wind capacity of you pop-up.

Sure wish it would do something here-just rains a little, gets cold and sometimes spits some snow, getting real tired of this "not snowing" ! Weather reports said snow all week, now says r/s or just r all week, you know just enough weather to keep me from going up to Eagle Lake and just sitting in my camper with the heater on-that's no fun-counting down to another field trip in the back country, going to the coast a couple of weeks ago just wet my whistle a tap for more adventures!

Smoke

Snowpack in central Oregon drainage/basins looking better -- now at about 83% of long-term average.

gallery_2431_332_27426.jpg

This is the combined/average for the Deschutes River and Crooked River basins, but it's not nearly as wet in the Crooked River basin (eastern Central Oregon) alone -- only 40% of normal.
------------------
I encountered some very heavy rain driving between Bend, OR and Redding, CA Wednesday and Friday -- mainly in the Shasta Lake and north vicinity -- wipers on high.
ohmy.gif
It was as heavy as a thunderstorm but wasn't a thunderstorm.
(There's an area just north of Shasta Lake -- around Volmers -- that has a micro-climate that brings it 70-100 inches of rain a year, though 30 miles to the south Redding gets about 40 inches.)

I see there's some significant new snow in Yosemite this morning -- even at Valley level.

gallery_2431_332_265161.jpg

Other Sierra Nevada webcams show similar -- or nothing at all 'cause they're socked in or snowed over.
ohmy.gif

You are lucky, rained here yesterday, dusted snow last night, Tahoe was supposed to get allot-hope it did! Well more to come later today, wish us luck!

Smoke

Looks like spring is finally on the way here. We dug out yesterday afternoon. The Lady loves to clear off the deck. The storm continued overnight. I woke up this morning to the Lady's happy voice as she was standing at the french doors, "Oh, I get to shovel the deck again!"

gallery_1902_252_92747.jpg

Back
Top Bottom