Winter!

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Maybe I should say, "winter???"...at least out here in the Pacific west.

From the Bend newspaper this morning:

Weather ‘completely unusual'
December may be among the driest on record

By Dylan J. Darling / The Bulletin
Published: December 23. 2011 4:00AM PST

Even if rain or snow falls on Bend as predicted between Christmas and New Year's Eve, this month could be one of the driest Decembers on record.
Bend's driest December came in 1976, when rare drought conditions during the winter left the city with no recorded rain or snowfall.Twelve years earlier, in 1964, a record 8.74 inches of precipitation fell.

The average high temperature in Bend this month has been close to 46 degrees, about 6 degrees more than a typical December, according to National Weather Service data collected at the Bend public works buildings near Pilot Butte.

The dry spell has been particularly surprising because it's happening during what those in the weather world call a La Niña event, Dello said. During a La Niña, colder-than-average ocean temperatures in the Pacific Ocean around the Equator cause storm tracks across North America to shift over the Northwest.

Typically that means more snow and rain than normal. “Skiers love La Niña because it usually means large snowpacks,” Dello said.

For about a month a high-pressure system has been parked over the Northwest, she said, pushing storms to the north and south. The last time a measurable amount of precipitation fell in Bend was on Nov. 23, said Diana Hayden, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service in Pendleton.

It's been a little warmer than normal...but there have been plenty of nights where the temperature definitely felt like full-on winter (thanks to the high-pressure clear skies)...but dry, dry, dry.

What's wrong with this La Niña?
Maybe it's really not La Niña but actually her brother, El Niño, in drag.
blink.gif

Apparently, you can blame the Arctic Oscillation for trumping La Niña. Hopefully the Left Coast will get more precip soon. I'd hate for you-all to have the kind of fire season we just went through.

There's a foot of fresh snow at my place and it's still snowing. At least it's nice fluffy powder and easy to shovel. The X-C skis are waiting for me at the door. I've been reading the road reports and the plows are having a hard time keeping up with the snowdrifts forming on the Sunspot Highway, so I may have an excuse for not going in to work.

It seems like interstates 25 and 40 have been closed more than they have been open, lately. I suspect the hotel/motel owners have worked out a deal with the Dept. of Roads. As far as I know, there are no laws about chains in New Mexico. Maybe if there were, some roads would stay open longer??? Just speculating.

Dexter_Snow.jpg

Yep, weather here in Suziville is the same as Bend, Nevada (Reno is having the driest December since forever), and the Sierras--clear,cold and no snow. :sneaky: Although they say we may get a bit of snow next Wednesday. This problem has been mentioned allot on some of the other threads, but until it really does something all we can do is hope and make those quick run out in the desert and hope the weather doesn't strand us out there, despite that great thread "the incident" and how to get unstuck! Sure hope we don't blow away next summer!

Smoke

Well my trip to the NE portion of CA is starting to look wet come tuesday :(

Oh well, we get what we get. I'm gonna do at least the river portion regardless.

Apparently, you can blame the Arctic Oscillation for trumping La Niña.

I'd never heard of Arctic Oscillation before -- thanks for the tip. :) So, I guess we're in the "positive" phase, a positive "AO index".

Still lookin' mighty dry today at 12,000 - 14,000 feet in the White Mountains of eastern California...

Barcroft-White20111227-1.jpg

The jet stream has shifted...Maybe that will let some storms drop down into OR and CA?

Indeed -- that's the forecast for central Oregon for a few days:
20111227-1.JPG

Looks marginal, temperature-wise, for snow in town...but that's not something I'm that keen on anyway.

Indeed -- that's the forecast for central Oregon for a few days:
View attachment 13381

Looks marginal, temperature-wise, for snow in town...but that's not something I'm that keen on anyway.

Coast range here in southern BC is getting the goods! Went to Whistler yesterday and couldn't see my hands in front of my face but no matter we were playing in knee deep powder! Rainfall warning here in Squamish now, up to 70mm forecasted. Translates into snow up high with up to 50cm forecasted by Thursday for the resort. The local Vancouver resorts (Cypress, Grouse, and Seymour) have all got over 30cm in the last 24 hours. Hopefully La Niña is back for good! When I recover from 4 days of excess holiday cheer I'll be back out playing in the hills for sure!

Happy holidays.

Coast range here in southern BC is getting the goods!

Yeah, it looks like the Pacific Northwest is getting it, but not south of Oregon, for now anyway:

gallery_2431_332_75223.gif

Barely winter here in the middle of Canada. Just enough snow to cover the grass. The dark fields are almost completely snow free. Daytime temperatures are close to freezing.

This is Canada. This is winter. If it keeps up, we'll lose our macho/stupid reputation.

Still don't know why they call it the "wet" coast :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

smugshot3340685-L.jpg

"Squamish is one of the wettest locations in Canada, with nearly 2400 millimetres of rainfall per year, often falling in long stretches through the winter." from Squamish, BC on Wikipedia

However, all that translates into a lotta pow at the right elevation!! Today above town, backcountry snowboarding:

smugshot9816518-L.jpg

Great first day out in 2012.

Here's the quantitative story so far for snowpack that feeds into the Central Oregon basin:

Bulletin-20120111-01.jpg

Not good.
sad.gif

Maybe you should rename this thread:

Winter??

My peach trees are starting to think it is spring. I can't remember the last morning it was below 40° here. The news yesterday morning said the snowpack in the Sierra Nevada is averaging 9% of normal. Last Saturday we walked the snow survey course at Carson Pass on 88. Thin snow in the shade only. At least it was cold with the wind chill, -9°F, and there was a welcome winter's bite to the air. We are ready to ski rocks and dirt.

Maybe a change?

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SACRAMENTO CA
320 PM PST FRI JAN 13 2012

CAZ013>019-063-064-066>069-150000-
SHASTA LAKE AREA / NORTHERN SHASTA COUNTY-
BURNEY BASIN / EASTERN SHASTA COUNTY-NORTHERN SACRAMENTO VALLEY-
CENTRAL SACRAMENTO VALLEY-SOUTHERN SACRAMENTO VALLEY-
CARQUINEZ STRAIT AND DELTA-NORTHERN SAN JOAQUIN VALLEY-
MOUNTAINS SOUTHWESTERN SHASTA COUNTY TO NORTHERN LAKE COUNTY-
CLEAR LAKE/SOUTHERN LAKE COUNTY-
NORTHEAST FOOTHILLS/SACRAMENTO VALLEY-MOTHERLODE-
WESTERN PLUMAS COUNTY/LASSEN PARK-
WEST SLOPE NORTHERN SIERRA NEVADA-
320 PM PST FRI JAN 13 2012

...WETTER PATTERN POSSIBLY RETURNING TO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA...

AFTER A PROLONGED DRY PERIOD TO BEGIN THE RAINY SEASON...EXTENDED
FORECAST CHARTS ARE HINTING AT A CHANGE IN THE WEATHER PATTERN
THAT WOULD GIVE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA BENEFICIAL RAIN AND SNOW.

A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM DROPPING SOUTHWARD OUT OF THE GULF OF ALASKA
THIS WEEKEND WILL ONLY GIVE THE REGION A GLANCING BLOW. ONLY LIGHT
PRECIPITATION IS EXPECTED OVER THE MOUNTAINS.

HOWEVER...A MORE SUBSTANTIAL PATTERN CHANGE MAY DEVELOP TOWARD
THE MIDDLE TO LATTER PART OF NEXT WEEK BRINGING A SERIES OF WET
STORMS INTO INTERIOR NORTHERN CALIFORNIA.

ALTHOUGH RECENT MODEL RUNS HAVE BEEN MORE ENCOURAGING FOR A CHANGE
TO A WETTER WEATHER PATTERN...THERE IS ENOUGH UNCERTAINTY IN THE
FORECASTS TO WARRANT CAUTION.

In Oregon we now, finally, seem to be in a winter-like mode:

Statement as of 3:19 PM PST on January 16, 2012
... Winter Storm Warning in effect from 10 PM this evening to noon
PST Wednesday...
The National Weather Service in Pendleton has issued a Winter
Storm Warning for heavy snow which is in effect from 10 PM this
evening to noon PST Wednesday. The Winter Storm Watch is no longer
in effect.
* Snow accumulations: total storm accumulations of 9 to 18 inches
ohmy.gif

are expected. Heavy snow will mainly occur Tuesday night through
Wednesday morning.
* Elevation: all elevations.
* Timing: light snow will develop tonight then will increase in
intensity Tuesday and Tuesday night. Snow levels will rise above
4000 feet by Wednesday afternoon... with a rain and snow mix
between 4000 and 4500 feet.
* Locations include: Sisters... Camp Sherman... La Pine...
Sunriver... Bend
* Winds: breezy winds of 15 to 25 mph with gusts to 35 mph will
cause blowing and drifting of snow.
* Impacts: the main impact will be heavy snow and blowing snow
that will create hazardous driving conditions.

There's a little snow on the ground now that fell this weekend, but really just a skiff...more seems to be on the way in Bend:
20120116-1.JPG
Actually, I'd just as soon we didn't get any snow in Bend, but if snow in town is the price we have to pay for snow in the mountains then I'll go along with that.
biggrin.gif

There is a bit of winter here in the Midwest.

We went on a ski tour in the hills above Aspen and bunked down in a hut for two nights. We picked up a view of the Maroon Bells just across the way.

Margarets Hut and 10.3k ft.
gallery_172_119_64399.jpg

The distant Bells from a ski trail north of Aspen.
gallery_172_119_139420.jpg

Back
Top Bottom