You know you're a geezer when.......................

It finally happened, I now wear bi focal/magnifier sun glasses to fish. The “I’m a geezer” turning point came for real when my Son had to tie on my fly because I absolutely could not see the d@&# eye well enough to thread the tippet.

Also learned that wearing them while walking leads to more stumbling while walking. Same Son as mentioned above told me to stop wandering around before I break a hip…. I’ve resolved that in the future I need to pick my fishing partners more carefully. :)

. . . you were the TV remote.
remote.jpg

buckland said:
Or you were the rabbit ear adjuster.
that was me
and sometimes as soon as you let go of the antenna it went bad so the rest of the family told me I had to stand there and hold it

LuckyDan said:
It finally happened, I now wear bi focal/magnifier sun glasses to fish. The “I’m a geezer” turning point came for real when my Son had to tie on my fly because I absolutely could not see the d@&# eye well enough to thread the tippet.
I have to stick to 14 or larger. My dog can't help.

teledork said:
that was me
and sometimes as soon as you let go of the antenna it went bad so the rest of the family told me I had to stand there and hold it
There's an old Beetle Baily comic about exactly that. Then he gets hit by lightning......

Ha! I forgot about that…being the youngest… I had to stand there… holding the aluminum foil flags on the end!

buckland said:
Ha! I forgot about that…being the youngest… I had to stand there… holding the aluminum foil flags on the end!
I was the youngest of 5 boys. We lived out in the country. We didn't have rabbit ears. We had an antenna on the roof. Yup, I was the one up on the roof moving the antenna. It happened often. The antenna had to be moved to get different channels. When the parents were away, you bet my older brothers had fun with me.

ski3pin said:
I was the youngest of 5 boys. We lived out in the country. We didn't have rabbit ears. We had an antenna on the roof. Yup, I was the one up on the roof moving the antenna. It happened often. The antenna had to be moved to get different channels. When the parents were away, you bet my older brothers had fun with me.
ski, your post reminded me of antenna rotators. And that in turn (!!!!) reminds me of the antenna rotator museum we visited.

It's not actually just a museum for antenna rotators. But in the Bicycle Museum of America in New Bremen, Ohio, there's a collection of all the Crown-brand antenna rotators produced from 1946 to 2001. Though I was more of a tenna-rotor guy I really enjoyed seeing those. It's also a very good bicycle museum.

We were there as part of our trip West about ten years ago. We had visited a relative in Ohio, then took US36 west to Denver to avoid the interstate highways.

Also-- here's a photo of the antenna rotator model we had when I was a kid...

50sAntennaRotator.jpg

Does that mean I'm a geezer?

I use to wonder why old men always wore work gloves. I said my hands are tough and I will never be that guy. Little did i know the gloves are not to protect your palms, but that thin skin on the top of the hands. Now I just look at my hands wrong and they start bleeding! Perhaps now, I too am becoming an OG (Old Geezer).

I have noticed of late that I am regressing to old muscle memory patterns... totally weird ones... Like when you look over your right shoulder to look behind you (even tho you have a clear view on back up camera) then "instinctively" reach up with your right arm as though you are about to grab the 'on the column" shifter to drop it into reverse. I've had a stick shift for a quarter century but I was taught on a 3 speed column shifter. I think I need a neural flush out and new stuff put in.

Back
Top Bottom