Summer Dayz

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Summer -- yes, meteorological -- begins today...and continues through 31 August.

It feels like it full-on here in Bend, Oregon today:

weather_20210601-2.jpg

But in a few days it will be more "seasonable", i.e., temperate.

weather_20210601-1.jpg

Bend broke a record for the date today: 95°F

Average for the date is about 75°.

It was hotter today in Bend: 97°F. Nearby Redmond set a record for the date: 99.

And now, 8:30 pm, I'm hearing thunder... fires are sure to result. :(

It was 86 here today for a high and 88 the day before. For us that is awful hot. Thunderstorms down the Sierra crest to the south. A big cool down is promised for the last half of the weekend. We are ready for that!

I noticed some T-heads today, but nothing rumbling.

Yep, it's a heatwave. We were sweating at 6,000 feet yesterday on a shortish hike to collect late morels. It was in the high eighties, and we were trudging. Today my truck thermometer reading was 113 F in town at 2400'.

It always seems too hot for me when late May / early June hits 90F
What does that portend for July and August?

On a side note, our garden veggies seem to have survived transplanting on Sunday, with hoops and shade cloth.
We've put in another large garden, propagated from seed indoors for our second year, using heat mats and led lamps.
Tomatoes, chilis, squash, eggplant, basil and beans are taking off! Every day we fill our bowls with lettuce, argula, peas and more greens.

Your heat wave has had the opposite effect on us at the coast,as usual.
We have very heavy fog/drizzle with strong winds mid day to sunset.
I can take the chill better then the heat though.
Frank

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Your heat wave has had the opposite effect on us at the coast,as usual.....
Frank
Yup! Growing up in Redding, CA (where the average summer high is ~100F) we sometimes camped on the norcal coast -- such as at Patrick's Point SP. When it was cool and foggy at Patrick's Point we knew it would be way hot when we got home to Redding.

I was at Hat Creek 3 weeks ago and it had just snowed and day temps were mid 70s. Now we're suddenly in full blown summer mode here with mid 90's all week.

I BELIEVE IN METEOROLOGICAL SEASONS.... but this doesn't look much like summer
weather_20210606-1.jpg

On the other hand, the first 2 days of this summer were in the upper 90s, so maybe that was summer.

95 the last two days here. 96 (last year) is the hottest we've seen in our 32 years in our home. Please, please, no more record breakers.

ski3pin said:
95 the last two days here. 96 (last year) is the hottest we've seen in our 32 years in our home. Please, please, no more record breakers.
Are those high temps not required for cooking ghost chickens?
Danged ol’ banjer pickers. :p

Paul

The average high temperature here in Bend in mid-June is upper 70s....so the forecast for the next 10 days is hot for here:
weather_20210619-1.jpg

I know I shouldn't complain about mere 90s, but my 45+ year old house doesn't have air conditioning. Maybe I should upgrade my HVAC to something appropriate for this millennium.

On the other hand, Bend city water is so cold -- year round -- that a cold shower can bring hypothermia whenever necessary, so there's that...

It's prematurely dark -- deep clouds. And I'm hearing thunder -- lightning.
Hope we don't have a bunch more fires.

Just felt a big strike -- felt the concussion in the house. It must have been BIG to feel it because it was almost a mile away (based on sound delay).

MarkBC said:
It's prematurely dark -- deep clouds. And I'm hearing thunder -- lightning.
Hope we don't have a bunch more fires.

Just felt a big strike -- felt the concussion in the house. It must have been BIG to feel it because it was almost a mile away (based on sound delay).
Batten down the hatches and take cover. Nature is amazing.

ski3pin said:
...Nature is amazing.
Very amazing. Big thunder, lightning storms are very cool.

Unfortunately, we've entered the season where a "smoke forecast" is part of the nightly local TV weather report...and it's only June.

On the local TV weather report tonight they had a segment to refresh our memories about "AQI" -- air quality index, with a report of a local firm that runs monitors across Central Oregon.
Last summer -- when AQI was off-scale bad -- I put a shortcut to the AQI website on my phone home screen: www.airnow.gov I see there's actually an app available...

Back
Top Bottom