BluesideUp Alaskan Project

Is that a plastic surface on a plywood core?..if it is you may want to send that on to Bryan at Alaskan....failures like that sometimes lead to changes in material usage or changes.

That looks like quite the fan....I may have to do a little remodeling

I am very happy with the fan and have an intermittent issue with the rear fan but I want to spray it with an electrical cleaner first to see if that helps

Bryan's response to cracks
No worries. It’s probably from previous owner raising and lowering crooked. The plywood under the laminate can flex but the thin laminate can’t. A little natural colored putty and it disappears.

Thanks to Bryan I pretty well have the through roof solar cable run to the overhead compartment figured out but I am not that comfortable yet with the solar panel 4 mounts which are shown in pic.
Alaskan glues them in place with Silka flex, some use 3M double sided Very High Bond tape (VH:cool:.
Any one got experience with either or something else?

Attachments

• IMG_2533.jpg
    IMG_2533.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 116
Sika is one of the best adhesive caulks around and has been for years....very durable and UV resistant...do it neatly....it's tough to get off

another one is 3M 5200 marine sealant/adhesive...permanent!...if you are even considering removing them at any time in the future ...use 4200....I've done below the waterline penetrations on my boat with the 5200 and it's been 5 years...I'm still planning ocean trips ;)

no ex on the 3m tape

I have mounted up a spare 4 gallon propane tank which will be plumbed into the camper system as well as an external BBQ. That will take me up to 8 gallons of propane which is more than sufficient for cooking and heating. I will install a street side tank guard once I figure out how to mount a marine BBQ.

Attachments

• IMG_2568.jpg
    IMG_2568.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 123
There are a number of marine grills...each one has a rail mounting which could be modified slightly to adapt to flat surfaces....with the deck you've built it'll have a solid support

I'm going to use the round Magma grill...so there's a Stainless rod offset which slips into a receiver nicely....

it really depends on how big the party is going to be ;)

nice spot for that reserve tank

Yeah thanks, its mounted on a 1/4 steel plate that is bolted and I will make the guard out of Aluminum.

The space was available and from a safety standpoint the side storage was not a logical place even though its vented and propane does not rise but sinks.

The round Magma marine grill is what I have in mind since it will be just me and my GS dog Toby, the smaller the better:)

I purchased a 15'L x 4"W roll of accordion boot rubber for my truck and Alaskan slider pass though which is 8" window frame to window frame. The camper slider is elevated 3-4" above the truck slider.

The accordion will stretch out to 5" wide so I will cut two 4' sections and join them by using a 4' section of the metal insert from the remaining 7' then insert a bolt through it every 6" to hold it together then seal the joint.

I won't fit through but my dog will :)

Attachments

• IMG_2569.jpg
    IMG_2569.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 119
Got the hitch receiver re-installed correctly when we fabricated the propane tank rack so I was able to finally mount up my 3 bike rack.

Basically all thats left to do is one last Pirelli seal behind the head, the Solar System and batteries which will be a challenge but I have a lot of local resources.

Attachments

• IMG_2580.jpg
    IMG_2580.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 172
BluesideUp said:
Got the hitch receiver re-installed correctly when we fabricated the propane tank rack so I was able to finally mount up my 3 bike rack.

Basically all thats left to do is one last Pirelli seal behind the head, the Solar System and batteries which will be a challenge but I have a lot of local resources.

Nice looking friend you are including in your adventure. A good companion I'll bet.

Toby's great, He's a 4.5 year old certified service dog that used to be with a TBI Vet who could not speak and was wheelchair bound. He responded to hand signals and commands entered on a voice program on a laptop. Gentle as a lamb but very protective

@BluesideUp: Please make sure to use the correct UV-protective Sikaflex to install your Solar panels.
i remeber they have the "5" as first of the three type-numbers or the "UV" behind it.
And make sure that there is no other type of glue or seal between the sika and the surfaces.
We had a guy installing a vented roof on a Truckcamper here in Germany and it got loose
using Sika 221 ( non -UV-protected) and some other type of sealant.

Manfred thank you for the heads up. I have not started on the install yet but am leaning towards high bond tape on the feet then Silkaflex on top and around
Bryan has given me a 31" measurement back from the rear of the front fan frame to place my cable run through the roof to the second overhead cabinet compartment where I will mount the panel controls.
My plan is to make a small entry an exit point then run a cable puller from the top through the insulation rather than a large exit point though the cabinet roof. We will see

I follow all your installations. If i go for my alaskan i like to install the flat solar cells 2x 107Wt from www.apolloflex.eu
But for these i will need a sheet of stainless or aluminium to glue these cells on it and after this screwing them to the roof.
These cells are real expensive but provide power, no wind drag, no problems with trees and scratches at all. They will fit better
on the Northstar 850SC i was interested in before switching over to alaskan.

Manfred65 said:
I follow all your installations. If i go for my alaskan i like to install the flat solar cells 2x 107Wt from www.apolloflex.eu
But for these i will need a sheet of stainless or aluminium to glue these cells on it and after this screwing them to the roof.
These cells are real expensive but provide power, no wind drag, no problems with trees and scratches at all. They will fit better
on the Northstar 850SC i was interested in before switching over to alaskan.
If we wait long enough there will be peel and stick panels like the flat panels for standing seam metal roofs. Maybe even paint on panels.....or peel and stick with a clear coat of a flexable epoxy to seal and hold it down.....

There may even be a market there...... ;)

I'm watching Manfred slowly inch his way toward his visit to Chehalis, Washington......to drop the proverbial hammer :D

@Rusty: The trip is already planned. Only waiting for the last amount of money for it. Changed jobs and got a chief which doesn´t pay :mad:
- wanted to sell my trike and got a fake seller :mad:
.......So my project is in delay, but plans go on.

I have a real good contact to Don Wheat now ( you remeber your "sign of times"-thread ) I asked Don to answer your questions after he answered my naughty E-Mail if they stop producing Alaskancampers in Chehalis. :D .

I have to go back to my own thread, no longer hijacking BluesideUp´s thread. :ninja:

Hijack Away. I looked at every alternative type of camper for more than two years. I even looked at modifying a trailer and mounting it.
Then I put it all on the back burner for another year and when the funds finally became available I pulled the trigger and was on my way back from KY with the 2010. The prep time was well worth the wait but it is like an addiction :)

...the addiction already works....now we only wait the lady called "time" will do her work...

We are flexible on the truck. Yes a 2500 must be, ExtCab or CrewCab. Wife doesn´t like Flatbed but i am thinking on the options it gives for a custom made camper esp. in Germany. I can fix it on every other Pickup ( called transporter here ) like the Fiat Ducato,
( =RAM Promaster ) Mercedes Sprinter or others if we have to changes sometimes. ( Nobody knows the crap in the heads of the government ).

Camper: 90% Alaskan with some changes we need here in europe
1% Northstar (because self import wouldn´t be necessary)
9% Phoenix if switching down to a 1500 truck

But my heart beats for Alaskan... ( see the addiction above :love: )

Weight can be an issue. Since I was going to get this 11' I knew I needed to customize a flat bed and I elected to stick with steel from a cost angle. The camper has a dry weight of 2,200 lbs, the flat bed is 1,500 lbs +-
Even with an 8.5 standard size which is under 1,900 lbs I had issues with it sticking out the back of a pickup subject to my backup skills.
Now after the under-bed boxes and the custom saddle boxes I am at about 12,300 lbs or 1,000 lbs +- the max gross or for all practical purposes maxed out. But I love the storage space, about 50 sf.
My OEM suspension on my 3500 HD does bottom out on potholes and to counter this I will install Firestone airbags on the rear and upgrade all 4 shocks with Bilstein's next week.
I did entertain a sprinter style set up as seen on Alaskan web site http://www.alaskancamper.com/custom.html. But I wanted more steel, like an engine block between me and the front bumper

Back
Top Bottom