Meteorological Winter

Friends spent last Sunday afternoon in the South Fork of the American River canyon keeping tabs on the family's cabin.

gallery_1902_252_303364.jpg

When a still photo almost triggers an attack of vertigo.... You really captured the power of all that water in motion. Great photos. Hope the bridge supports remain intact.

Paul

Portland is a mess this morning. Reports of up to 11 inches in parts of the city. We only have about 3 inches, but it's still snowing.

For the first time I can remember, chains are required on all vehicles in the city. Studded and snow tires, 4wd aren't enough. To be legal, it's chains.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Portland is a mess this morning. Reports of up to 11 inches in parts of the city. We only have about 3 inches, but it's still snowing.

For the first time I can remember, chains are required on all vehicles in the city. Studded and snow tires, 4wd aren't enough. To be legal, it's chains.
Friends of mine in Portland report a foot of snow overnightht at their house on Alameda Ridge in NE PDX,
That's gotta be something close to a record for them...disaster-like.

And up here in the Seattle area last week would have added more verses for Perry Como, the Bluest Skies you ever saw are in Seattle, chilly though down into the teens at night in some places. Clouds moved back ~ Saturday, along with warmer temps and scattered rain.

Columbia River area and south down to Cali are getting the full brunt, up north here, business as usual.

Took my son six hours to get home from work last night on Swan Island in downtown Portland to Hillsboro. Normally, this takes about 35 minutes. He had chained up his Subaru before leaving the parking lot. Unprepared drivers & very unprepared ODOT, PDOT on 405 downtown & Sylvan Hill on 26 got him.

Paul

"Central Oregon sees historic snow depths: Many previous records date back 2 decades"
Well, that's cool, I guess...
But I remember that previous record winter ('92 - '93), and I think it was snowier -- deeper at my house that winter than it is now. I guess it depends on where you measure the depth. And that '92 - '93 winter set a record of 90 days of continuous snow cover -- a record for duration that I really, really hope we don't come close to this winter. :cautious:

Getting this done today:
201701_Snow-2.JPG 201701_Snow-4.JPG
...is a lot more satisfying when I have reason to believe that I won't have to do it again for at least a week:
Weather_20170111-1.jpg :)

Of course...there's still this to deal with:
201701_Snow-3.JPG :rolleyes:

And then...there's this to think about:
"Continued snow weighs on Bend homes: With feet piling up, many roofs become stressed"
But I'm not going to worry about it. :cool: The story states that so far no residential roofs have caved in, and, so far, only a few commercial roofs and greenhouses have caved.

However Bend's winter turns out, for me it will end a month from today when I leave town for Big Bend N.P. (and other southwest locations) -- a month+ trip. It's 84°F and sunny in Terlingua, TX right now!

I just got off my roof - but I'm not so worried about the weight, it's the ice dam that is building up over the kitchen and is resulting in some melt off coming out about halfway down my siding that is making me nervous (at least yesterday when things were melting. I measured 35" on the roof while I was up there.

Note to Mark: If you need ice melt, Helena Chemical has quite a bit.

Occidental said:
I just got off my roof - but I'm not so worried about the weight, it's the ice dam that is building up over the kitchen and is resulting in some melt off coming out about halfway down my siding that is making me nervous (at least yesterday when things were melting. I measured 35" on the roof while I was up there.

Note to Mark: If you need ice melt, Helena Chemical has quite a bit.
Yeah... I have a roof rake with a long extension (a tool that I bought for clearing my camper roof when winter camping) that I might use on the lower edge of the roof -- for ice dams.
I have an unopened 50lb bag of ice-melt on my front porch, which I may have to sprinkle on the driveway as residual snow turns to glacier...

Winter also affects our vehicles.

I took the Sprinter (camper project) to work today after it had been out in the last half a foot of rain that had fallen.
The nine foot tall beast does not fit in the garage. :(

I loaded the dog and put 'er in reverse to see a thin stream of water come out of the overhead console.
What the ??? I got out and took a look and my antenna was gone, snapped off with part of the base.
Now I understood where the leak was coming from. I quickly grabbed some plumber's putty and plugged the hole.

But the water coming out of the console was a big concern, as there is a GPS unit and microphone too.
Sure enough, when I pulled out the console, there was water on the circuit board that lives up there. :oops:
Bummer! I pulled it out and dried it over the floor register at the office. But I don't want to reinstall unless I'm sure the leak is gone.

So, I think I need a new antenna assembly and possibly a circuit board.
I hate that when there's a cascading series of negative events like that.

Lighthawk,
It depends on what components are on the circuit board that got wet and if there was power going through the water to create new circuits between components. At a couple of places I used to work, we used a dishwasher to clean circuit boards after manufacturing. Stacked them into the dishwasher after assembly, ran them through the cycle which dried them, and tested afterwards. Electrical/mechanical components like speakers and microphones didn't always fare well as they may have water sensitive materials.

After spilling a beverage on a keyboard, I remove batteries and run hot water into the keys, shake out the water, and also use the floor furnace vent to dry them out. Most times it works.

Usually worth a try, but YMMV.

Paul

I've been pleasantly surprised that my solar has been working even with the wet weather we've had. Admittedly it doesn't have to replace much current right now. I'm even a bit nervous about going up to play in the snow this weekend. Shouldn't be hard to get stuck at all :)

Thanks PaulT. I have pulled the board and dried it out. I observed some greenish corrosion, which I buffed off with a sweat shirt (tech term). I haven't reinstalled to see if it's still functional, but it is completely dried.

Side note: I have submerged a Canon G10 while doing a header into the creek. I yanked the battery and used a blow drier to move moisture from the camera. There was condensation visible inside the LCD. After two days of rehab, the unit was dry and with fresh batteries the camera worked just fine. So, there is hope.

Sorry to hear this Alan.
Make sure when you get your new antenna that they give you the right gasket and that it hasn't been crinkled. A friend of mine had to replace his and it still leaked due to the bad gasket.

Special Weather Statement
Code:
Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
508 AM PST Wed Jan 18 2017

CAZ013>019-063-064-066>069-191300-
Shasta Lake Area / Northern Shasta County-
Burney Basin / Eastern Shasta County-Northern Sacramento Valley-
Central Sacramento Valley-Southern Sacramento Valley-
Carquinez Strait and Delta-Northern San Joaquin Valley-
Mountains Southwestern Shasta County to Northern Lake County-
Clear Lake/Southern Lake County-
Northeast Foothills/Sacramento Valley-Motherlode-
Western Plumas County/Lassen Park-
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
Including the cities of Shasta Dam, Burney, Redding, Red Bluff,
Chico, Oroville, Marysville/Yuba City, Sacramento,
Fairfield/Suisun, Stockton, Modesto, Alder Springs, Lakeport,
Paradise, Grass Valley, Jackson, Chester, Quincy, and Blue Canyon
508 AM PST Wed Jan 18 2017

...STORMY WEATHER RETURNING TO NORTHERN CALIFORNIA OVER THE NEXT
SEVERAL DAYS...

A SERIES OF PACIFIC FRONTAL SYSTEMS WILL BRING AN END TO THE
PERIOD OF DRY WEATHER NORTHERN CALIFORNIA HAS EXPERIENCED OVER THE
LAST SEVERAL DAYS. THE FIRST STORM IN THE SERIES BEGUN MOVING
INTO NORCAL WEDNESDAY MORNING BRINGING LIGHT PRECIPITATION OVER
PARTS OF THE NORTH STATE. HEAVIER RAIN AND MOUNTAIN SNOW WILL BE
PUSHING OVER THE NORTH STATE BETWEEN WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON AND
THURSDAY.

THIS FIRST MODERATELY STRONG WEATHER SYSTEM WILL BRING BETWEEN
THREE QUARTERS AND TWO INCHES OF RAINFALL TO THE VALLEY FROM MID
DAY WEDNESDAY TO MID DAY THURSDAY. SOME FOOTHILL LOCATIONS COULD
SEE 3 INCHES OR MORE OF RAINFALL. SNOW LEVELS WILL START OUT
MODERATELY HIGH AT BETWEEN 5000 AND 6000 FEET BUT THEN LOWER TO
AROUND 4000 FEET BY THURSDAY AFTERNOON. SEVERAL INCHES OF SNOW
WILL BE POSSIBLE ABOVE 4000 FEET WITH UP TO A FOOT AND A HALF POSSIBLE
HIGHER ELEVATION AND TWO FEET OR MORE POSSIBLE HIGHEST PEAKS.

IN ADDITION TO THE RAIN AND SNOW...GUSTY WINDS ARE LIKELY WITH THE
WEDNESDAY/THURSDAY SYSTEM. WINDS GUSTS TO 40 MPH ARE FORECAST FOR
THE VALLEY AND UP TO 50 MPH OVER THE MOUNTAINS. WHITE-OUT
CONDITIONS WILL BE POSSIBLE AT TIMES OVER THE SIERRA CASCADE
RANGE.

AFTER A BREAK ON THURSDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING ANOTHER STORM
SYSTEM WILL HIT NORTHERN CALIFORNIA ON FRIDAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL BE
A LITTLE WEAKER THAN THE PREVIOUS SYSTEM IN PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS
AND WIND BUT WILL COME WITH LOWER SNOW LEVELS GENERALLY BETWEEN
3000 AND 4000 FEET. ANOTHER PACIFIC STORM IS FORECAST TO MOVE
THROUGH AROUND SUNDAY BRINGING STILL MORE RAIN, WIND AND MOUNTAIN
SNOW BUT WITH EVEN LOWER SNOW LEVELS BETWEEN 2000 AND 3000 FEET.

Back
Top Bottom