Fall In

Yeah, I think I'm gonna opt out of the wishing-for-rain thing in our area. We had 6.74 inches here on Wednesday.

Two days later, roads are still blocked by flooding on two of the three ways out of here.

Fortunately, we had no damage.

It was interesting to get the emergency texts warning of both tornados and flash floods. They seemed to be saying "go to the basement right now" (because of the tornado) and "stay out of your basement so you don't drown" (because of the flash flooding).

Hope you sat on the middle step in your waders, personal flotation device and motorcycle helmet until the alarms subsided. :unsure:

Paul

ski3pin said:
Old Crow, glad you had no damage!
Thanks, ski3pin. I appreciate it. Hope to see you get back home soon.

PaulT said:
Hope you sat on the middle step in your waders, personal flotation device and motorcycle helmet until the alarms subsided. :unsure:

Paul
Thanks for that, Paul! My wife and I got quite the chuckle out of visualizing us doing that. And continually nudging each other to claim more space from the other on the stairs.

We'll take whatever good fortune we've earned or even that which we've backed in to: Both Fred's and Ida's rains missed us in central NC and the strong cold front which chased Ida away has brought us drier air and a 15-18 degree drop in daytime high temp. Wife and I are finishing our work weeks on the deck overlooking the south shore of Chesapeake Bay, laptops in laps, under cloudless skies, with the 2:00 pm temp at 74 deg F. It feels a lot like autumn right now.

Foy

Looks like summer will reappear for a few days early this week.
IMG_20210904_192344.jpg

Yeah, summer. In a normal summer it might never get hotter than upper 90s.

CraggyMan said:
I think when we have upper 90's and AQ over 400, we just call that HELL.
About the air quality: Why not just think of it as a typical day in Beijing or Mexico City? Makes it seem exotic...without risk of exotic variants.

ski3pin said:
Today it felt like we are speeding towards the equinox.
Just a little over two weeks. It seems that the sun is dropping behind Hunt Mt at least an hour sooner than just a month ago. Hello darkness my old friend…

It's a little unusual to see a full-blown hurricane -- "Larry" -- way out in the middle of the Atlantic.

GOES16_abi_fullDisk_20210906_174022_band02.jpg

Wonder where Larry has his "eye" on...
GOES17402021249YHW3Va.jpg

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I am glad I don't live on the east coast anymore.
I went through several huge hurricanes in the 50s.
No thank you for me now.
Kinda like what East Coasters say about Western wildfires

Hurricanes are destructive and deadly, but they're still fascinating when viewed from the safety of an orbiting satellite.

GOES19402021249DoklcH.jpg GOES19402021249xTGTpt.jpg

GOES20002021249CJoJja.jpg

GOES East

I wholeheartedly agree, they are fascinating! :)

On our side of the continent it is very hot, incredibly dry, and the afternoon upslope wind is building. So, the nearby Caldor Fire containment lines could be tested the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom