Fall In

craig333 said:
Started at 3-5 inches expected. Now its 2-4 inches. I expect half an inch when it finally arrives. My rain gauge said 0 after the first wave. Now it wasn't much but it wasn't 0. I opened up the rain gauge and found a spider living inside. After evicting it my gauge is working again. .3 inches after the last wave. It doesn't take much to close 50 so I'm thinking you're right.

craig333 said:
Already down to 1-3 inches and "moderate to heavy" rain. Seems they like to start out with a worst case scenario rather than underestimating. Still its a nice storm and every bit helps.

craig333 said:
That applies to all the fires, not just Caldor. Even if the storm wimps out it still won't take much in the burn area to cause problems.

.57 at my my place so far.

craig333 said:
They're sticking with their 2-4 inches and up to 50mph winds. Time to batten down the hatches and prepare for the worst. I'll go check on my dads house and make sure he's ready. Definitely not time to go camping!

craig333 said:
1.5 inches here and its still soaking in. A couple miles north of me a buddy is reporting 2.5". Interesting how must difference just a few miles makes.

craig333 said:
I just got an alert on my cell phone advising me to seek shelter by 2pm. That's a first. I've been hunkering down all morning. Good time to still be a football fan. 2.03 and that doesn't count the storms earlier in the week.

craig333 said:
Over 4.2 inches so far. Finally a storm that outperfoms expectations.

Craig... Your in it now!!! Still got until tomorrow till noon to go. Were up to 2 Inch's within 24 hours. Wow, that is a lot for us! That is more than we got for the whole year. Good to see it water the vegetation and trees. Been years since I seen it rain like this here.

Over five inches now. I can't remember anything like this out of a single storm. The stormwater utilities are doing their job. Only some minor street flooding. First time I've seen the detention ponds doing what they were built for. Curious to see how the lake levels come up now.

Yea it's been a while around here too.

Time to take a drive to see where everybody built in low lying flood plains are doing.

Its still sprinkling but I think its pretty much done. 6.01 inches out of this storm. Combine that with the .78 from earlier in the week and its an impressive amount of rain. Some impressive snow falling in the Sierra right now. I wish they could be happy but all I hear is "well its not a drought buster". Nope but its a really nice start.

Spent the weekend at my cousin’s new house in Carmichael. Quite a bit of rain and wind including yesterday (Sunday) as I drove our 32’ motorhome back south on Hwy99. I never said I was the sharpest tool in the shed. ‍♂️

Over night had a nice steady rain.So far we're at 3"+.
Headed down the coast tomorrow to San Simeon SP
for a couple nights. Maybe the 4th time is the charm.
So far this year cancelled 3 trips for different reasons.

Looks like Hwy 1 is clear and should be great weather in the Cambria area.

It will be nice to finally get out.

Frank

As I drove a couple of hundred miles through North Carolina today I had the truck windows rolled down part way. Not that it was hot outside, just comfortable. But the sun shining in the windshield heated up the cab. (At least I didn't turn on the A/C)

Over the next couple of days it's going to cool down from today's perfection, but still OK for November.

IMG_20211102_171328.jpg

My brother has a place on Emerald Isle. If you’re used to Oregon saltwater, the ocean off NC is a revelation. Actually pleasant swimming.

Hope you’re enjoying your trip.

Paul

We'll be "urban camping" on Washington, NC (aka Little Washington)waterfront tonight through Sunday morning as we attend the rescheduled Cycle NC Coastal Ride. Rain and high in the 40s today but somewhat warmer and a bit of sun Friday and Saturday, albeit with a NE wind from the back door cold front consistently flowing in.
Hardside A-frame popup in a paved parking lot right by the public docks/lighthouse replica, Mark. Stop by for a cup of coffee, MBC!

Foy

Foy said:
We'll be "urban camping" on Washington, NC (aka Little Washington)waterfront tonight through Sunday morning as we attend the rescheduled Cycle NC Coastal Ride. Rain and high in the 40s today but somewhat warmer and a bit of sun Friday and Saturday, albeit with a NE wind from the back door cold front consistently flowing in.
Hardside A-frame popup in a paved parking lot right by the public docks/lighthouse replica, Mark. Stop by for a cup of coffee, MBC!

Foy
Well -- DANG it -- Mr Foy...I am now south of your border in the other Carolina. Just barely, though, in "Little Pee Dee State Park". It's mid-afternoon and only 48°F. Kinda chilly...
I could use a hot beverage now.

Yessir, we have a classic "back door cold front kicking in today and tonight on the banks of the Pamlico River, just a couple hundred yards from the old US 17 drawbridge where the name Pamlico River takes over for Tar River as it's known up in the Piedmont and inner Coastal Plain, where the water becomes brackish and there's a bit of tide. Never got above 46 deg F today according to the truck's thermometer readout and we drove through a light cold rain all the way down from Raleigh. Tomorrow's supposed to be decent with some sun but with a stiff NE wind. Wife and around 1,200 others will do their road cycling thing for 50-60 miles tomorrow whilst I do a little bit of office work, down lots of coffee, walk the boardwalk along the riverside, and cast some topwater plugs in hopes of fooling a striped bass (called rockfish in these parts). a puppy drum, or a speckled trout (aka spotted seatrount). Come the evening we'll host some cycling friends for a Low Country Boil preceded by some steamed Rose Bay NC oysters, dug from just down the river a piece. The weather is tolerable, but life is good, very good!
By Sunday night we'll be up on the Chesapeake Bay on the Virginia Beach side of the Bridge-Tunnel. Be there all next week. Give me a shout if you head up that way.
Little Pee Dee SP sounds nice. But may I suggest it's not in some other Carolina, because there ain't but one real Carolina.
Foy

Foy, next week I'll be staying for a few days with some friends in Summerville, SC (west of Charleston). I'll ask them about 'the real Carolina'...see what they say.
;-)

MarkBC said:
Foy, next week I'll be staying for a few days with some friends in Summerville, SC (west of Charleston). I'll ask them about 'the real Carolina'...see what they say.
;-)
There's no telling what sort of tall tales certain heathens will try to tell you. All I can say is what my grandmother used to say: North Carolina is a vale of humility between two mountains of conceit. Besides that, the Sandlappers put mustard sauce on otherwise perfectly good pork barbeque. Don't get me started on that..........
Otherwise, enjoy the fellowship...........just don't eat the BBQ.
Foy

ski3pin said:
It is time for my annual rant about the extension, years back now, of the end of daylight savings time from the first part of October to the first weekend in November. I hate these dark mornings! Move it back, move it back to the first full weekend in October! Do it!
Finally. :)

A couple of days ago it was too chilly and gray and breezy (for me) here in South Carolina to paddle my kayak. That is, it wasn't appealing to do so. So I made cornbread instead.
But this forecast is more like it -- why I came down here!
IMG_20211107_195202.jpg
Looks good for paddling in local salt marsh and tidal river estuaries.

Other than knowing 'Check-Out Time' at campgrounds... knowing whether it's DST or any-T is kinda irrelevant to me.

This afternoon, driving down US 17 near Charleston South Carolina, I turned on the a/c in my truck. Yes, for real. The temperature outside was about 80F and the humidity was about 70%.
I could NEVER survive summer down here! :p

I'm staying with some friends in the area, and, fortunately, they are believers in the power of air conditioning.
(it's not the heat, it's the humidity! :rolleyes: )

+1, It is definitely NOT a dry heat. I left Raleigh on July 2 1975 at 95 F and 95%. Having lived in Raleigh for the previous 11 years without AC, I thought it was normal. Having lived in Oregon for 4 + decades, I can no longer handle the heat & humidity. It ain't normal. :)

Paul

Back
Top Bottom