Fall In

It is time for my annual rant about the extension, years back now, of the end of daylight savings time from the first part of October to the first weekend in November. I hate these dark mornings! Move it back, move it back to the first full weekend in October! Do it!

ski3pin said:
It is time for my annual rant about the extension, years back now, of the end of daylight savings time from the first part of October to the first weekend in November. I hate these dark mornings! Move it back, move it back to the first full weekend in October! Do it!
Better yet, eliminate daylight savings.

It has been terminated in Oregon subject to adoption in Washington & California. However, I think it will be permanent PDT rather than PST. This means that morning Oh Dark Thirty will arrive early & stay. Leave it to the Left Coast Legislatures to pick the worst choice.
We will likely be out of sync with BC, also.

Of course, they could decide to be like China & be 5 time zones wide but all be one time zone.

Paul

Can't blame the California legislature. It was a ballot referendum that passed asking for year round daylight savings time. It has not, yet, been adopted. My take is most believe it is a "savings" plan and saving is good, right? Or, they just do not get up in the morning. We distance ourselves further and further from the natural world. We'll just set our clocks to standard time from now on. No more annual rants from us. :)

PaulT said:
It has been terminated in Oregon subject to adoption in Washington & California. However, I think it will be permanent PDT rather than PST. This means that morning Oh Dark Thirty will arrive early & stay. Leave it to the Left Coast Legislatures to pick the worst choice.
We will likely be out of sync with BC, also.

Of course, they could decide to be like China & be 5 time zones wide but all be one time zone.

Paul
That's the way most of Europe is.Except Portugal.
It works for them I guess.
Frank

goinoregon said:
since retired, my get up time is whenever... go
Yep, me too.

It might be kinda fun, for a change, to be like one of those oddball time zones. Such as Afghanistan, which is +4:30 hours from UTC...or Newfoundland, which is -3:30 hours from UTC... Or the really wacky Chatham Islands (NZ), which are +12:45 hours from UTC.
...those guys are REAL time rebels!

;)

I lived in BC in 1975/1976 in the interior near Cache Creek & 100 Mile House. There I was introduced to Monty Python and the “As It Happens” radio show so was tickled to hear a skit on As It Happens one day where some disaster was going to occur. The pretend news announcer said in all seriousness, “The world will end tonight at midnight, one half hour later in Newfoundland. “

Somehow, that got to my funny one so thoroughly that I still remember it when thinking about DST.

Paul

I turned my furnace (thermostat) on again this morning; it was 57°F in my house when I got up.
I think I'll now leave it on (in its winter program) for the duration. We have near/below-freezing nights in the forecast.

IMG_20211006_114024.jpg

We haven't used our propane forced air furnace yet this year but I did go though it last Saturday for it's annual inspection and fired it up. It is ready to go! :)

The recent near freezing temperatures killed the cucumbers and I harvested all the peppers but I am still eating tomatoes from the garden. I think that is going to change within the next week as there is snow in the forecast.

Weather_20211011-1.jpg

With a low of 23°F forecast for overnight -- the first hard freeze here since early spring -- I decided to 'winterize' my travel trailer's water system. I pumped RV antifreeze through the water lines until pink came out of the faucets.
I probably could have gotten away with not doing this -- it's the only COLD night forecast for the next week. But this way I don't need to worry about it. And it's easy to flush out the non-toxic antifreeze, which I'll do when I'm in an area that has no chance of hard freeze.

I also could have used compressed air to blow out the lines. I bought gear to do this, but I haven't tried that approach yet. Maybe next time.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Looks like we will see our first snow of the season.
attachicon.gif
93A00D38-927E-4201-B203-6BBDDCC3BC27.jpeg
While grouse hunting in the Blue Mts, we had about 1/2” of snow around 5,500’ of elevation. First snow at our elevation forecast on Wednesday. Winds gusting to around 30 mph… one grouse for the pot.

The larch (tamarack) was turning to a nice gold, and the huckleberry was a beautiful red.

33B2D583-8F9E-440C-81BD-7F5EDB38CC49.jpeg

Wandering Sagebrush said:
While grouse hunting in the Blue Mts, we had about 1/2” of snow around 5,500’ of elevation. First snow at our elevation forecast on Wednesday. Winds gusting to around 30 mph… one grouse for the pot.

The larch (tamarack) was turning to a nice gold, and the huckleberry was a beautiful red.

attachicon.gif
33B2D583-8F9E-440C-81BD-7F5EDB38CC49.jpeg
The larch is such an unusual tree. And even though I lived in Idaho for only a short time I miss the huckleberries. Especially the milkshakes in Victor. I worked for the chiropractor across the street from the Victor Emporium. On random occasions someone would come across the highway and deposit a tray of milkshakes on my desk. The berries did get stuck in the straw sometimes.

Cold nights and I'm convinced fall is really here. The chains are going on the tractor tires and it is time for the awning on the deck to come down. :)

Back
Top Bottom